BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been having trouble with my sound system (2002 LTC, no intercom). There has been a lot of static in the radio. That doesn't shock me much, the reception has never been real good, even with major 50,000 watt stations. I only play FM stations because AM has besically never come in since the bike was new. BY the way, the dealer attempted to fix that twice while the bike was under warranty and they were never able to make any progress.

Anyway, just to compare, I played a CD and got the same static. So I started thinking the speakers are going. But later (maybe a day or so) the radio and CD were playing just fine. Any thoughts for some troubleshooting?

·
Registered
878 Posts
You might try putting some dielectric grease on the radio connections. I always put the grease on the antenna connection and the other connections on the left hand side of the stingray whenever I have it apart. In your case, you might want to take out the stingray and remove the cover over the radio and grease the connections on the back of the radio itself. As far as radio reception, some people have reported corrosion at the base of the antenna. Unscrew the mast from the base and there should be a spring contact that may be dirty. HTH

·
Registered
712 Posts
Aside from the dielectric grease, you may have a problem with electrical noise via alternator or if you have a HID light form the ballast. I've had similar issues with HID on my RT after installing some aftermarket HID upgrades (H4 & aux lights). A bit of work rerouting cables and getting a better ground solved about 90% of it. A cleaner signal (outside vs. the garage) solved the last 10%.

On my previous motorcycle, I was unable to solve the problem except by replacing the radio. Went from an inexpensive Dual model to a slightly more expensive (wish I had of gone there first) Sony.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fought that same problem for about 6 months. Worked great on day, bad the next. Did the grease trick I found in the forums, but no joy :(
In the end got a new radio under extended warranty :)
The dealership's basically said the radio was "bad" go figure
good luck

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Seems to be a common problem.

As others have mentioned, shooting the connectors with a contact cleaner, using electrical grease usually restores clear sound.

When you lift up the seat, towards the rear trunk, you will find more barrel connectors for the rear speakers.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts