BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride regularly, and when I started the bike yesterday, no radio ... no audio nothing!

The backlit buttons on the control are lit, and will change when I push the "on" button - just like normal.

the single cd player in the stingray took a cd in, but that's it ... it wont eject it.

I tried disconnecting the battery to reset it ... when I turned the bike back on the display read "no radio" or "radio missing" ... when I hit the "on" button, it went away, and now nothing again.

HELP! My wife (and I) loves the tunes when we ride ...

Could a wire be disconnected? If so which one? Anybody have this happen to them before?

Thank for any suggestion on how to resolve!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Unfortunately the radio can be a weak point. The rubber buttons tend to crack and let water infiltrate into the control head. You may have a dead radio. However there is a fuse on the back of the control head which can be checked. I do not know if it would cause the symptoms you describe. To access it you must remove both side panels and then the stingray assembly which holds the control head. If you go in that far you may as well take the control case apart and inspect it for corrosion and obvious moisture. I recall reading one account where a member used WD40 and a toothbrush to remove corrosion from the circuit board and he was able to repair his in that fashion.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Steve,

First thing to try is disconnect the battery for an hour or so. Read this is the cure a number of times on the forum. After that it's into the tupperware to clean and check the connections.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I"m on my third radio on Traveller.

Each time, when it starts to go bad, the radio looses the left channel. It starts out getting weaker until if finally quits.

I'm getting about 20,000 miles per radio.

Love that extended warranty! The replacement cost of the radio's alone have repaid the original extended warranty up-front cost.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've already decided to replace my radio if I should lose it with a Jensen re-mod. Do a search on Jensen radio...they look sharp. If that is not an option....then think about an intercom that could pipe music into headphones in your helmets. Then either a mp3 player or iPod as your music source.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Does it matter how long the battery is disconnected for?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts