BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 BMW k1200 LT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
I'm wondering if anyone has repurposed the mute button, seek button, or other buttons the on the stingray.
These:
or

How hard would it be. I have a small rocker switch I could add to the stingray area, but if other switches fit without cutting I'd rather go that route. Thanks for any advice, pictures, tips in advance!
Michael

·
Registered
91 Posts
I plan on doing the very same thing with th stingray buttons. I haven't done much planning on it yet so I don't have anything to show you....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well it is easy: Ibus interface. Click here for info.

Intended for fitting a modern radio, but I could do a version with outputs to control whatever you like. As standard, it will drive Alpine*, Sony, Pioneer, JVC and Kenwood radios with full original control function. It also allows the display to work with some limitations.

There is an output for a relay which toggles on the SCRP button. That is intended to do exactly what you are asking for. You even get an indication on the original display "LightsON".

If for some strange reason ( :unsure: ) you don't have a radio ( very strange ;) ) then I could build a special with more relay outputs if your pocket will stand the shock!

* I recommend the Alpine range. They are a good match and lack many of the silly "boy racer" gimmicks of the lesser brands.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I repurposed the handlebar radio controls to control an iPod some 15+ years ago.

The handlebar switches basically just connect to ground when you press them, so I opened up the iPod's factory remote, figured out that that also works by grounding out the corresponding pin, and then soldered wires to the iPod remote's IC chip. These wires got connected to the corresponding wires for the BMW handlebar switches.

Note that I had removed the factory stereo and filled that space with a CD-based GPS system, so the handlebar controls weren't attached to anything.

For using the stingray radio buttons, I'd go with what Scimitar says above.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
335 Posts

I went the really low tech route... I removed the radio control button panel and molded a piece of ABS plastic and added external USB ports, and a standard cigarette lighter with an on/off switch panel from Amazon. In the stingray, I added a lot of other switches, and ports for charging camera batteries, and my cell phone, etc.
(I removed all the radio controls, radio, CD player, speakers, etc., for someone to reattach down the road, along with the rear box if one was so inclined.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts