BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a very heavy rain last summer the radio failed. The obvious is water damage. Checked the fuse. My question is this require a complet radio replacement or does anyone know of a circut which might be damaged and replaced?
Lucky

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '99. It dried out eventually and started working again. Try a blow dryer to see if it will come back?

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
lucky26 said:
During a very heavy rain last summer the radio failed. The obvious is water damage. Checked the fuse. My question is this require a complet radio replacement or does anyone know of a circut which might be damaged and replaced?
Lucky
Try the 'disconnect battery dance' first before spending money. Disconnect the battery for half hour or so, then reconnect and see what the radio does. You should also do the TPS dance after reconnecting the battery (ignition on but don't start engine - twist the throttle twice to wide open and release, turn off ignition and then turn on, start engine and ride around a block or more) and you'll be good to go. HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Your problem probably are centered in the control element, the thing with the buttons. It's separate from the receiver/amplifier module, and subject to getting wet. Here's the parts diagram:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=585397

I was able to replace mine with a used one my dealer had. You might also try opening the control element and cleaning/drying the circuits. You can find the instructions for this here with a little searching. I don't happen to have it handy. It requires removing the radio, but isn't too hard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I will give each a try working from the easiest and cheapest first, and will let you know.
Lucky

·
Registered
729 Posts
Dick said:
You should also do the TPS dance after reconnecting the battery (ignition on but don't start engine - twist the throttle twice to wide open and release, turn off ignition and then turn on, start engine and ride around a block or more) and you'll be good to go. HTH.
Is this true?
The reason I ask is the GS911 has a procedure for setting the TPS and it is a slotted adjustment. History has taught me that if the TPS is fixed it is self learning for min/max end points, slotted being a manual adjustment.
I know the Can model RT is a self learn but I'm not convinced the LT is, looks like the idle control will also interfere with the full closed position.
Just asking.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
After you take the side covers off the radio control head is fairly simply to remove and disassemble. They do tend to crack the buttons and allow water to enter. That's likely the issue and might be cured with a good application of compressed air.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions, but the LT is more like a Blackberry then you would think. Discontect the battery and it reboots. Worked like a charm, and the BMW dealer wanted to sell me a new radio, close to a 1000 plus labour.
Maybe they don't know about this, ya think.
Lucky :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
New2rt said:
Is this true?
The reason I ask is the GS911 has a procedure for setting the TPS and it is a slotted adjustment. History has taught me that if the TPS is fixed it is self learning for min/max end points, slotted being a manual adjustment.
I know the Can model RT is a self learn but I'm not convinced the LT is, looks like the idle control will also interfere with the full closed position.
Just asking.
This is not for setting the TPS as you do with the GS-911 but rather telling the ECU what the max min values are since you just erased the memory in the ECU. A lot of people tout doing this but I completely forgot to do it after my clutch change and she drove just fine from the get go. Battery was off for two weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts