BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
rub with rubbing alcohol. It should clear it up. Gin might work too, but I haven't tried it)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Some have polished it out with plastic polish, or even toothpaste. It is just surface discoloration.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Usually it is absorbed moisture that just won't go out on its own, alcohol displaces the moisture. Mine got so bad it was totally white absolutely opaque. I soaked an area of cloth similar to the display and laid the cloth on it. Then poured more alcohol on the cloth and just gently repeatedly pressed on it with my thumb, creates like a hydraulic pump on the surface. Take the rag away and just let the alcohol evaporate. Personally I wouldn't rub it as its not necessary and if you wipe the excess off around the display you'll find it gets the paint sticky and lifts a little of it. This is my before and after, looks like it had masking tape on it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Rubbing is not the word. Hope you didn't rub... I should have said to lightly brush with the alcohol. A little bit is all that is necessary. Clears up the cloudy display.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wiped mine with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the moisture, then, on a whim rubbed over the display lens with some dielectric grease, guessing it might act as a moisture barrier. Don't know about long term, but it's stayed clear for several months so far.

JD

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I use denatured alcohol to clear mine up. When it gets wet, it "fogs" up again, but denatured alcohol works fine. Mine doesn't really get fog in the sense there is moisture in the display. My plastic lense just gets so I can see in it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Mine has started the same thing, but white streaks in it. I've tried the alcohol trick to no avail. My display appears to have some sort of tape over it from the previous owner but for the life of me can't figure out how to get it off if it there. I've already tried prying the edge or corner with a razor blade. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used finesse-it on mine and it cleared up. In my opinion, I think the plastic is oxidizing and hazing as a result. I put a touch of auto wax on after I cleaned it with the finesse-it and it looks great now. (We'll see how long it lasts)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
Mine has started the same thing, but white streaks in it. I've tried the alcohol trick to no avail. My display appears to have some sort of tape over it from the previous owner but for the life of me can't figure out how to get it off if it there. I've already tried prying the edge or corner with a razor blade. :confused:

Get one of those headlight refinisher kits (or just the polish). Tape around the window so you don't scratch the black plastic, gently rub with a q-tip--let the POLISH do the work. May take a few minutes, but did wonders on mine (mine hazed over after a week riding in rain. was so bad I could scrape through it with a fingernail)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Toothpaste will clean it up and keep it clean for a long time. A little dab on your fingertip is all you need. I tried all kinds of cleaners and then found the toothpaste trick. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Another thanks to the forum. Worked like majic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts