BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,

Last night I had the weirdest problem. I arrived at my destination, turn the key to the "off" position, like I always do, but the radio won't stop. Nothing helped. I hit every button imaginable on the handlebars, and the tank: nothing. Arrow Classic Rock FM just keeps screaming through the night. Nothing could make it shut up... :(

Now, mind you, this is a 3 weeks old '08 LT we're talking about. So I thought to be good mechanic ;), and unplug the battery. WTF?? The toolset you get with it only holds ONE PHILIPS SCREWDRIVER. And the bike doesn't even HAVE philips screws!! :mad:

So I went back home, got my own tools, unplugged the battery for a second. The radio went silent. When I switched the radio on again, it functioned like it should. All buttons were operational again.

First of all the radio: What was wrong with it? Anyone ever saw (heard) this? I know it stays on in the "P" position, but not in the "off" position. Glad it's a one-time-only incident... (so far)

Second: the toolset, WTF? See the image for the toolset that I got with my 28,500 euro (!) bike. A screwdriver, a fuse puller, and 4 fuses. Now seriously, how sad is that...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a 99 LT that does the same thing. I have to bang on the stingray to get the radio to turn off. Pressing the off button doesn't do it. This doesn't happen all the time and there is no noticeable pattern, as in it does it after it's been washed. the only thing I could think of is something is sticking in the stingray. I've taken the stingray off and cleaned all the contact but no change noted.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The control panel for the AM/FM/CD player. When you take it off the bike it looks something the fish, stingray.

·
Registered
832 Posts
They only switch off when you put it in "handlebar lock - remove key position". Try holding the radio button down for a couple of seconds.......it is not instant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This happened to me a few times on my '00 K1200LT.

I was able to turn off the radio by switching from radio to CD and then back again.

I also tried just leaving it alone in the 'off' position. The radio
did finally turn off by itself. I don't know how long it took, because
I left (the bike is on a battery tender).

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Look at all that storage space you have in the tool kit! Sorry for the attempt at humor but just think, if you had all the tools some of us got you would have paid another $100.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My 2006 had the same tool kit, but it has a standard screwdriver. WHat I did to it stop by Sears and I bought a set of open end wrenches (6 on one side 8 on the other, 9 & 10, all the way up to 17~19) for $25. Added an allen wrench set. Added a replacable tip screwdriver with phillips, straight, allen, and torx bits. And today I'm buying a side cutters and pliers for it. I may buy a 3/8" socket wrench and extension so I can remove plugs and tighten wheel bolts.

I based this on the 2003 tool kit. FWIW, Sears also sells a metric motorcycle kit that has most of what you need. If you can buy it on sale, it usually runs for about $35.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kk610lt said:
They only switch off when you put it in "handlebar lock - remove key position". Try holding the radio button down for a couple of seconds.......it is not instant.

It is instant on my machine, only not this time. I always leave the radio on, and then turn off the bike into the steering lock position. The radio always switches off... Except this time...

About the toolset: I can pick one up for a few euros as well, but still, I expected something decent for a bike in this price range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At least you get a tool kit (albeit a sparse one). I'm not sure if you get anything when you buy a Harley (at least a few years ago, you might get one with the ones today).

I do long for the days when a decent tool kit came with the bike. I remember pulling the transmission and changing a throwout bearing on my 1973 R75/5 in my apartment living room only using what came in the tool kit. Boy, those where the good old days!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
SurfMan said:
It is instant on my machine, only not this time. I always leave the radio on, and then turn off the bike into the steering lock position. The radio always switches off... Except this time...

You are right, mine is instant too. I went out to the bike at work to check and sure enough - instant off......it is on that takes a few seconds.

I think that you'll just to have to keep riding....that's what I'd do. :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
My radio did that twice.
Both times it happened was when I switched ignition off with radio still on.
I could only fix it by turning ignition on, hit radio on, hit radio off, turn ignition off.
Never happened when I switch radio/CD off before switching ignition off.(so far)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Well, maybe I am doing a bad thing. My radio will shut off but when I pull into the garage, I turn the key to off and then just a little more like I am going to lock the handlebars, except the front wheel is still straight. The music stops but the key will not come out. I leave it that way at the house. If I go somewhere, depending on where I am, I either turn the key to Off and turn the radio off or turn the handlebars and lock then to remove the key.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nelson61 said:
44,445.76 US dollars for a LT??

WOW !!!!!

Enjoy your new bike :histerica

This is The Netherlands. Half of the money goes to our government to pay the salary of parliament members to make weird movies.... That's the way it works.

You'll be screaming if I tell you we pay 1.50 euro per liter for gas. Which boils down to 6.75 euros per gallon (4.5 liter), which would be 10.60 US Dollar per gallon at the current rate :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
ibbones said:
Well, maybe I am doing a bad thing. My radio will shut off but when I pull into the garage, I turn the key to off and then just a little more like I am going to lock the handlebars, except the front wheel is still straight. The music stops but the key will not come out. I leave it that way at the house. If I go somewhere, depending on where I am, I either turn the key to Off and turn the radio off or turn the handlebars and lock then to remove the key.
I do the same when I park at home as it also shuts off the radar detector and GPS.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
zippy_gg said:
I do the same when I park at home as it also shuts off the radar detector and GPS.
So Gilles, did you ever get that door lock fixed on your garage? :histerica

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
rab1967 said:
I have a 99 LT that does the same thing. I have to bang on the stingray to get the radio to turn off. Pressing the off button doesn't do it. This doesn't happen all the time and there is no noticeable pattern, as in it does it after it's been washed. the only thing I could think of is something is sticking in the stingray. I've taken the stingray off and cleaned all the contact but no change noted.
Most '99 and a few early '00 LTs had radios with a firmware problem that would drain the battery because the radio would not shut off. There was an upgrade Technical Service Bulletin, and radios were swapped out by dealers, the faulty ones sent back for re-programming, then these were used to swap out others.

Probably can not get a dealer swap now since it has been so long. See if you can find a dealer that can pull up the old TSB. There was a way by pushing the buttons in a certain order to get the firmware level on screen. The TSB gave the problematic and upgraded firmware levels to look for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts