BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an 02 Lt a couple weeks ago with 35k on it. Love the bike. Bought because it's my dream bike. BUT two days ago the radio stopped working. I think it's the control module on the console. Is there anything I can do or am I looking at a new $200 part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose I should mention. The control back light turns on but the BMW logo doesn't come up. And it doesn't go any further from there.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
You can try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. If that does not work there is a fuse behind the radio, unfortunately you have to pull a lot of plastic off to get to it.
**If you do disconnect the battery, make sure you do the throttle reset after reconnecting the battery by doing the following:
--Turn key on, do not start.
--Fully twist the throttle three times (full open and full closed).
--Start the bike.
Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That did the trick. Awesome tip. Thank you. The radio was one of the big appeals of the Beemer for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Well the reset thing worked for a while. But it keeps glitching. Any more ideas on what is going on. I looked up the new control module, it's $715. If there's a better way I'm all ears.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ok. Well the reset thing worked for a while. But it keeps glitching. Any more ideas on what is going on. I looked up the new control module, it's $715. If there's a better way I'm all ears.
When is it glitching?

The way it was explained to me a couple of years ago after I had a similar experience, the radio system is somewhat like a computer that starts up in three stages. It is at risk of glitch to the radio when there is an interruption before fully on. An interruption such as trying to start the motor. So, I have gotten into the habit of checking that the radio is OFF before starting the motor. Have not had any issues since this procedure change. Hope this helps in your case.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Anything you need always check e bay first. Can buy controller for alot less than 700. Good chance it could be the radio also. $400 for rebuild at Becker in New Jersey. Good luck

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
Often as the rubber on the buttons ages it develops cracks that let water into the controller. This causes corrosion that can really crate some issues. You can open it up and check for corrosion, clean it up and seal the buttons. May fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The buttons are in really good shape and the bike hasn't seen a drop of water since I got it. I thought it was glitch in do to an interruption at first too. But after further testing it happens before the engine is started. I think it may be related to it loading the cd tray. It loads the fm radio fine. But locks up 1 out of 3 times I turn it on in cd mode.

·
Registered
506 Posts
How does the battery voltage look before and during playback of the CD? I wouldn't expect the voltage to drop at all.

Are you referring to loading the single CD or CD Changer loading a CD?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Voltage seems to be ok. Not having any problems with it turning over. It's the 6 disc changer. But it also did it with the single the only time I tried it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts