BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 LT. Some time ago while riding in the wet the CD started skipping to the next track for a few seconds then would do it again (as if you were forwarding manually ). Also with the radio on, the radio would keep moving to the next station & so on. This stopped occurring but does happen now & again even in the dry. I'm thinking water has gotten in somewhere & the moisture is still shorting now & again? If so would it be in the Volume/forwarding switch on the left handlebar or am I on the wrong track?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
What's a CD player? :D

Even though it can be repaired for about $150.00 or so my best advice is to ditch it and install an I-pod controller in it's place.

There are numerous (as in hundreds of posts) threads here regarding this configuration... and here's one to start you off:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39830

I used a Dice unit instead of the Neo unit on my '02. It was pretty much plug and play.

You may want to also lube/clean your radio controls and buttons - get a can of Nutrol at an electronics supply house and spray away. It has cured many gremlins for me in the past. Regular contact cleaner does not have the lubricants the Nutrol has...

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Cape said:
... If so would it be in the Volume/forwarding switch on the left handlebar or am I on the wrong track?
It could be anywhere - in the harness, in the control head - but you are correct, the most likely location is in the switch.

These controls have inside tiny surface-mount switches, enclosed in rubber "bubbles". Sometimes these rubber protectors break and let moisture/water in. This would cause the symptoms you describe.

If that is the case, you are sort of SOL. I never looked into the volume control box, but have taken apart the left-side handlebar controls - these are virtually unrepairable.

If the problem becomes too annoying, check eBay or BeemerBoneyard to see if you could snag a salvaged part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts