BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 LTC Radio unit has stopped working properly.

I can turn it on and off with the On/Off button, but none of the other controls work.
-Controls on handlebar and rear box don't do a thing
-Other buttons on the stingray/dash have no effect (CD, AM, etc)
-It will play on the FM station that was selected, but can't change it.

What I have done:
-I have taken the side panels off and removed the stingray (S/R).
-I have unconnected and reconnected all the connections.
-I separated the radio/cassette unit section from the S/R
-checked connection from radio to button panel on under side of S/R

Any ideas from the group? I would really appreciate any help I can get.

John Robinson

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DaveDragon said:
Kinda sounds like you missed a connector or two at the Stingray/Left Upper TupperWare area.
Checked them all.... actually the first thing I did.

Did it again, just for grins...nothing.

It's still apart, so can check other things.

Keep the creative juices flowing.

JohnR

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did you check the connector on the underneath of the stingray buttons?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hammick said:
Did you check the connector on the underneath of the stingray buttons?
Yep, checked that, too. No difference.

Thanks, anyway for you thoughts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with the owner of my local dealer and they said they thought it was the actual radio unit went bad. They said they have heard of things like this on LT radios and they just replace them.....yeh, out of warranty it is $650.

Think I'll check ebay to see if I can get a used one off of a wrecked LT.

Any ideas there?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
John,
I've a full stingray unit including remote, radio/cassette and glove compartment cover off a 2000 that I am willing to part with if it will help you out and you are interested?

cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05 at mile zero. I didn't even get off the lot and found the radio would not come on.

They ran through diagnostics and thought is was the control unit. They reset everything and it worked for a short time and went out again.

They ended up replacing the entire radio. Not exactly the warm and fuzzy I expected from a brand new BMW, but its all sorted out now and haven't had a problem since.

Dave Allen
05 K1200LT
05 330 CIC

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
JohnR said:
My 2000 LTC Radio unit has stopped working properly.

I can turn it on and off with the On/Off button, but none of the other controls work.
-Controls on handlebar and rear box don't do a thing
-Other buttons on the stingray/dash have no effect (CD, AM, etc)
-It will play on the FM station that was selected, but can't change it.

What I have done:
-I have taken the side panels off and removed the stingray (S/R).
-I have unconnected and reconnected all the connections.
-I separated the radio/cassette unit section from the S/R
-checked connection from radio to button panel on under side of S/R

Any ideas from the group? I would really appreciate any help I can get.

John Robinson
Looking at the radio external schematic (page XII), given the fact that the On button on the stingray works, and the radio itself functions, you can rule out fuse problems (both F8 and the one at the back of the radio).

The rider and passenger controls are downstream of the stingray controls, so it is unlikely that a wiring fault in the remote controls is the problem. From the schematic, there is only one wire from the stingray controls that carries "commands" from the button panel -- the white/violet stripe I-Bus wire at pin 4. If there is a fault in the connection between the panel and the radio, no commands from any control will reach the radio internals.

That leaves three possibilities that come to mind (others can chime in with more if they think of them!):

1. A wiring or connector pin fault between the panel and the radio. It appears you have already chased this one down.

2. A fault within the radio panel button circuit board. This is a real possibility, as water leakage into the button area, with corrosion of the traces and the cable terminals, is not unheard of.

3. A fault within the radio itself, where the signal from the button panel on the I-Bus line is received at the radio, but is not forwarded to the appropriate circuit within the radio chassis. If the other possibilities aren't it, then two choices: a replacement like your dealer said, or open up the radio and look inside for obvious problems like corrosion (water intrusion in the radio is also not unheard of) or a wire break.

Anyway, FWIW, I wouldn't automatically assume the problem is the radio and "throw parts at the problem" as your dealer suggests. At a minimum, I would first open up the button panel and rule it and the connecting wires out before popping for a radio.

HTH,

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark:

Thanks a million. That is just the kind of info I was hoping to get from one of you gurus.

I will check the button panel completely. My suspicion is that the problem originated there. In fact, a couple of the rubber boots around the buttons have small cracks due to aging rubber, so water has likely penetrated the connections.

Also, goes along with the timeline to the failure. The radio stopped working after I washed the bike in my driveway about two weeks ago.

Any tips on best method of cleaning electrical connections?

When I cleanup the connections, I will plan to replace the rubber boots around all the buttons while I have it apart... assuming my local dealer stocks the part.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for offer. I may take you up on this if I can't fix it like Mark Neblett info suggests.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My 05 radio stopped working (I had it on) whilst washing the bike yesterday.
Also, the dash light is not switching on and off as it should.
Have checked ALL the fuses, and they are OK.
Taking the bike to the dealer tomorrow, so watch this space.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
<Any tips on best method of cleaning electrical connections?>

I use ProGold spray and a Q-tip.
Deoxit ahould work fine also.

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mneblett said:
Looking at the radio external schematic (page XII), given the fact that the On button on the stingray works, and the radio itself functions, you can rule out fuse problems (both F8 and the one at the back of the radio).

The rider and passenger controls are downstream of the stingray controls, so it is unlikely that a wiring fault in the remote controls is the problem. From the schematic, there is only one wire from the stingray controls that carries "commands" from the button panel -- the white/violet stripe I-Bus wire at pin 4. If there is a fault in the connection between the panel and the radio, no commands from any control will reach the radio internals.

That leaves three possibilities that come to mind (others can chime in with more if they think of them!):

1. A wiring or connector pin fault between the panel and the radio. It appears you have already chased this one down.

2. A fault within the radio panel button circuit board. This is a real possibility, as water leakage into the button area, with corrosion of the traces and the cable terminals, is not unheard of.

3. A fault within the radio itself, where the signal from the button panel on the I-Bus line is received at the radio, but is not forwarded to the appropriate circuit within the radio chassis. If the other possibilities aren't it, then two choices: a replacement like your dealer said, or open up the radio and look inside for obvious problems like corrosion (water intrusion in the radio is also not unheard of) or a wire break.

Anyway, FWIW, I wouldn't automatically assume the problem is the radio and "throw parts at the problem" as your dealer suggests. At a minimum, I would first open up the button panel and rule it and the connecting wires out before popping for a radio.

HTH,
Mark:

Thanks to your input, we have the problem fixed. Radio works just perfectly.

It was indeed, water leakage under the button array that caused corrosion on the circuit board located directly below the buttons. Four of the eight rubber boots around the button array have cracks that I am sure is the source of the water penetration.

After cleaning up the corrosion with just a soft cotton cloth, I plugged it back in and it works just fine. I want to do a better cleaning job in the circuit board where the corrosion was. I wonder if you could tell me what is best to clean it up better. Would WD-40 be a good or bad idea? Does Radio Shack have something for cleaning electrical connections?

BMW does not offer new rubber boots as a replacement item and prices the whole button panel( with circuit board and all) for $400. A bit steep. So, I spread some clear silicone sealer down into the cracks and over the entire surface of the button rubber boots and will let it cure overnight before putting it all back together.

Would appreciate yours or anyone else's suggestions. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
JohnR said:
Mark:

Thanks to your input, we have the problem fixed. Radio works just perfectly.

It was indeed, water leakage under the button array that caused corrosion on the circuit board located directly below the buttons. Four of the eight rubber boots around the button array have cracks that I am sure is the source of the water penetration.

After cleaning up the corrosion with just a soft cotton cloth, I plugged it back in and it works just fine. I want to do a better cleaning job in the circuit board where the corrosion was. I wonder if you could tell me what is best to clean it up better. Would WD-40 be a good or bad idea? Does Radio Shack have something for cleaning electrical connections?

BMW does not offer new rubber boots as a replacement item and prices the whole button panel( with circuit board and all) for $400. A bit steep. So, I spread some clear silicone sealer down into the cracks and over the entire surface of the button rubber boots and will let it cure overnight before putting it all back together.

Would appreciate yours or anyone else's suggestions. Thanks, again.
Cool! Glad to here that was it. I use WD-40 ("Water Displacement formula no. 40"), but I know *squat* about electrical stuff :) I'll let the real experts advise you here.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I used to have a spray can of "color TV tuner cleaner" in my shop for these kinds of things. Not sure what was in it, but cleaned electrical connections.

·
Registered
99 Posts
do you just spray the WD 40 around the buttons from above?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Re radio suddenly not working, the solution was to disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals for a while, as suggested here and in other threads.

Apparently, and I repeat, apparently, if the bike is getting low on juice, it automatically switches off all electrical consuming parts, so that enough power is left to start the bike when needed.

As far as I know, the only way to get them working again is by doing the above.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Radio Problem

Had same problem. Just disconnecting the battery for a minute or two did nothing. I left it off for an hour or so and Wah Lah ! it is working.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Happened again and disconnecting/connecting did not solve the problem this time, so as it is still under warranty, it's back at the dealers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem Solved

I thought I had previously posted the solution to my Radio Problem.

Well, anyway, after reading all the helpful replies to my original question, I removed the Radio StingRay and then, further, removed the button control panel, opened it up to inspect the circuit board under the buttons. I found several places where water had seeped down onto the circuit board and caused a slight corrosion on the circuits. I cleaned it off, sprayed it with WD-40.

It now works like new. The only problem left is that several of the rubber boots surrounding the buttons, have cracks in the rubber that will allow water to intrude.

My next problem is to see if I can find a button panel on which the rubber surrounding the buttons are in good shape to replace the one on my bike. The rubber boots are not a replacement item due to the manner in which the buttons are manufactured and installed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts