BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding home from the rally in Vermont in some of the heaviest rain I have ridden in, my radio is giving me problems. At first, it was turning itself on and off. Now, after drying out in the garage for three days, I can turn it off but none of the other controls work. What do you recommend? Let it dry for a while or take it to the dealer? It is still under warranty.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer. While the radio itself is easy to remove, I don't remember there being a lot of user serviceable parts on it. Get it fixed or replaced while you have warranty left.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
You might try putting a fan on it to circulate the air and dry it out of a day or two. It that dosen' work it's gotta go back to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Check that this is covered by the warranty. If it's not, I bet the labor for R&R alone is pretty high.

The problem is probably in the 'control element', the box under the buttons. I had a similar problem after a heavy rain in June. Regardless of the input source (CD, radio, etc.) the unit would turn on for 30 seconds or so then flash 'no radio' and turn off. I hoped it would dry out but after a week back in AZ it hadn't.

I think the radio and control is a major pain to remove, but I disassembled, cleaning and greasing as I went, hoping to find a problem with a connector along the way. No luck, when I got into the circuit board of the control element (tool alert-you need a T9) it was dusted with what looked like mineral deposits. I cleaned it with electronics cleaner, and applied dielectric grease to the connectors. Works like before.

There are some excellent instructions on removing the radio here on the board.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
BLBantz said:
After riding home from the rally in Vermont in some of the heaviest rain I have ridden in, my radio is giving me problems. At first, it was turning itself on and off. Now, after drying out in the garage for three days, I can turn it off but none of the other controls work. What do you recommend? Let it dry for a while or take it to the dealer? It is still under warranty.
Brian, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but check the connectors to your "Stingray"! They are located on the left side underneath. You will have to remove your left side fairing in order to even see them, and probably remove both sides so you can actually lift the stingray and get to them. Once you do I'll bet you can fix things by taking them apart and spraying some water displacement compound (LPS, CRC, etc.) into them. And when you go to reassemble them be sure and add some di-electric grease to help keep the water out!

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts