BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 04 LT DOES THE ELEC WIRE STOP @ THE BASE next to seat? if so can i just simply unscrew the whip off and leave as is cheers

·
Registered
486 Posts
i have an 04 LT DOES THE ELEC WIRE STOP @ THE BASE next to seat? if so can i just simply unscrew the whip off and leave as is cheers
Yes the AERIAL will unscrew. However the innards are spring loaded and are not meant to be exposed, so if you are leaving it off for some reason, put the nut back and find a waterproof sock of some sort to cover it with,

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes the AERIAL will unscrew. However the innards are spring loaded and are not meant to be exposed, so if you are leaving it off for some reason, put the nut back and find a waterproof sock of some sort to cover it with,
Those water proof socks can often be purchased at your local chemist , They come in individual sealed blister packs.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I removed the entire antenna and replaced with a powered and amplified retro antenna, see link, that fits nicely under the top case base panel. There are other models same size, lower price point.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I removed the entire antenna and replaced with a powered and amplified retro antenna, see link, that fits nicely under the top case base panel. There are other models same size, lower price point.
The big problem with that approach is that performance is destroyed. First of all you reduce the wanted signal by replacing a resonant aerial with an untuned, tiny stub surrounded by metal parts which screen it and gives you weak, noisy and reflecting signals on less local stations. Then to make it worse, that weak, noisy signal gets amplified. The result of that is lots more weak, noisy signal and the noise of the amplifier added into the mix. In a nutshell, the signal to noise ratio becomes even worse. It is the S/N that matters, not absolute signal level.

An amplifier is a really useful device for overcoming losses, like long and lossy cable runs or splitter systems. What an amplifier cannot do is to generate something that wasn't there to begin with.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
All true, yet the bike looks better absent the antenna and top case AND I subscribe to Amazon hi-def music playing through my SENA helmet speakers. Here is pic before removing antenna:
I have removed my antenna, as well as the radio and cd players. I think it makes sense if you are using mp3 player or the bluetooth comm to listen to the radio. The bike looks good without it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts