BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to repair or replace the radio antenna on a 2005 LT. The antenna is not an exterior mount. It is interior located behind the back seat. Does any one know of a replacement antenna source? Experiencing very poor radio reception. My searches in this website gave information on exterior mounted units only. Your guidance or suggestions, please.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There are a lot of "hidden radio antennas" for Harley Davidsons sold on ebay. I'd imagine one of them could be made to work. Here's just one sample ad:

HD Hidden Antenna on ebay

Jeff D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Great post! I never thought about a concealed(out of sight) antenna for the am/fm radio. This would free up the existing antenna mount for a ham radio or FRS/GMRS antenna. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Loren

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Newer knew that.
I always thought if I rode by a bike without an antenna it meant there just was no radio. Especially with the invention of I-pods, Cell-phones and other entertaining instruments. I have walked around the showroom floors and noticed mainly the full dressers are the ones with radios but they all sported an antenna. I will have to look at the earlier models closer.
Going back to the original post are you trying to stay with an internal or do you think an external one would be better since your complaint was about reception. Also behind the seat sounds like the original one was affected by heat maybe.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wonder if that hidden one will work very well. I would love to take that tall whip off of the bike. The hidden antenna would fit real well behind the passenger seat in that bit of space there when the trunk is moved back. With the antenna lead/plug right there it should still be easy to remove trunk when you need to. Hmmmmm................

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Just a bit of caution on using an Amplified antenna. The reason it has an amp is that with that small an antenna the signal is very weak. So you need the amplifier to get it to a level the radio can detect the signal, unfortunately that also amplifies the noise and the radio then needs a very good signal to noise ration detector to work well.

Before I would take all the tupperware off I would want to have a test bed radio try it out first. Any old car radio would work for a test.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Just a bit of caution on using an Amplified antenna. The reason it has an amp is that with that small an antenna the signal is very weak. So you need the amplifier to get it to a level the radio can detect the signal, unfortunately that also amplifies the noise and the radio then needs a very good signal to noise ration detector to work well.

Before I would take all the tupperware off I would want to have a test bed radio try it out first. Any old car radio would work for a test.
+1. Given the wavelength of AM and FM bands, an antenna element this small will be an incredibly poor antenna. And, as stated, the amplifier will amplify a lot of noise in addition to the signal and, on top of that, will add its own noise and distortion. I would be VERY surprised if htis hidden antenna performed well at all, particularly in areas far from the radio transmitters.

If someone tries one, please report back your experience.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sit said:
I wonder if that hidden one will work very well. I would love to take that tall whip off of the bike. The hidden antenna would fit real well behind the passenger seat in that bit of space there when the trunk is moved back. With the antenna lead/plug right there it should still be easy to remove trunk when you need to. Hmmmmm................
Sit what is wrong with the whip antenna?
It does not look ugly to me. Does it get in the way? My Goldwing had 1 antenna and I went and bought another to balance out the bike. I know to each his own but any specific reason to hide it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just dont like it. At the very least wish it was on the left side.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sit said:
Just dont like it. At the very least wish it was on the left side.

I guess I am blinded by what I have. I never noticed any difference in LT's over the years. My antenna is on the left and so I thought they were all the same place.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
NCIowaLT said:
I need to repair or replace the radio antenna on a 2005 LT. The antenna is not an exterior mount. It is interior located behind the back seat. Does any one know of a replacement antenna source? Experiencing very poor radio reception. My searches in this website gave information on exterior mounted units only. Your guidance or suggestions, please.
I am not sure what you mean by interior mount. Both of my antennas, AM/FM and CB, attached to mounts that are bolted to the frame under the travel trunk and extend out each side from under the trunk. My antennas both work pretty well given they are on a motorcycle. A key thing is to ensure a good ground attached between the antenna and the bike frame. My CB even came with auxiliary ground straps in addition to the metal to metal contact and they REALLY emphasized having a good ground.

Do you have pictures of your antenna mount?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Re: Radio antenna for 2009 LT

I was wondering if anyone had anything new to add on amplified antennas or antenna replacement.

The 2009 (new to me last month) had some form of amplified / hidden antenna installed.

The thing works like carp... and he paid $300 on this "improvement"

SO is there anything new to add to a replacement antenna?

All the parts are missing by the way, no bracket left behind.

Thanks

Paul

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Re: Radio antenna for 2009 LT

pauleknight said:
I was wondering if anyone had anything new to add on amplified antennas or antenna replacement.

The 2009 (new to me last month) had some form of amplified / hidden antenna installed.

The thing works like carp... and he paid $300 on this "improvement"

SO is there anything new to add to a replacement antenna?

All the parts are missing by the way, no bracket left behind.

Thanks

Paul
I almost never use my radio and am strongly contemplating removing mine, Paul. Is a PITA when covering/uncovering the bike. My be easier to just put a grommet on the different covers i have for the old gal. If I remove it, however, will make you a heck of a deal. Should have it worked out around the end of the month/erarly next, when I strip her down to change the clutch, slave, air filter, etc, etc.

If I remove it, will let you have it for a song (and if you sing as badly as I do, will be a very short song for the benefit of all humanity!).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts