BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

On my 2006 LT, the fans begin to run as soon as the temp indicator reaches 3/4 of the dial.
It happens only in slow traffic and it is not a big issue but presently the tupperware are off for the winter maintenance so I consider changing the sensor.
I know the are several temp sensors.
Questions:
Which one controls the fans ?
Is it difficult to reach and to change it?

Thanks in advance

Bruno

·
Registered
187 Posts
3/4 sounds like they're starting late, mine come on at a little over halfway, and I like it like that!

Reactions: JVRx7

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Hello,

On my 2006 LT, the fans begin to run as soon as the temp indicator reaches 3/4 of the dial.
It happens only in slow traffic and it is not a big issue but presently the tupperware are off for the winter maintenance so I consider changing the sensor.
I know the are several temp sensors.
Questions:
Which one controls the fans ?
Is it difficult to reach and to change it?

Thanks in advance

Bruno
Bruno, that doesn't sound too far off normal unless your bike runs that warm while at speed. The fans are supposed to cut in at 105C or 221F ( warning light at 115C 239F ) so if you can get a GS911 to hook up and read the temp when the fans cut on, you might be able to tell if the sensor is bad or reading incorrectly. The water temp sensor is at the bottom front of the engine facing to the left. Be very careful if you replace it as it is only tightened to 9 Nm and can be broken easily if you try to over tighten. It feels like almost nothing at 9 Nm.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
The water temp sensor that turns the fans on is at the rear of the cylinder head. The water temp sensor at the water pump runs just the temp gauge.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Normal for the 05 and up. The pre 05 fans don't kick in until just before the gauge goes into the red. Either way the fans always kick in at the same temperature, just the gauges are different.

Reactions: sailor

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine goes on at about ¾. I also have an 06. I think that's where they are supposed to come on.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
The water temp sensor that turns the fans on is at the rear of the cylinder head. The water temp sensor at the water pump runs just the temp gauge.
Thanks Dave, I think i had heard that before but I don't take my Clymer to work with me :) to do any looking and didn't remember there was a separate sensor.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Reactions: Fun Bobby

·
Registered
4,341 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
As long as engine isn't overheating and fans kick on consistently it doesn't sound bad really. I prefer my engine to stay out of the red, as long as im there I don't sweat it much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everybody for your advice.
I was a bit worried because I read in some older posts that the fans should not start before the temp gauge reaches nearly the top of the dial.
I understand from your answers that my bike's behaviour is normal for a 2006 model.
So I will let the sensor alone and finish the winter maintenance as usual.
Thanks again

Bruno

1 - 11 of 11 Posts