BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed while riding that the temp guage was creeping to the red area and hitting higher than before. It hit the white line that begins the edge of the red area with no fans spinning. I let it idle in my garage and no fans. They would normally come on about 3/4 hot.

Neither fan comes on and wonder what steps I need to take to make sure they work right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

James

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
beemer100 said:
I noticed while riding that the temp guage was creeping to the red area and hitting higher than before. It hit the white line that begins the edge of the red area with no fans spinning. I let it idle in my garage and no fans. They would normally come on about 3/4 hot.

Neither fan comes on and wonder what steps I need to take to make sure they work right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

James
James - check this fuse list and notice that each fan has it's own fuse, in the left fuse box - plus there is a fan relay fuse in the right side box also. You prolly know that the fuse boxes are under the passenger seat, but access to 'em can be gained by lifting the driver's seat. Good luck.
Right-side fuse box (brake levers side).
1. Brake light switch, fuel level warning
lamp, fan relay, instrument cluster,
windshield adjustment switch, computer 4 amp
2. Parking light front and rear 4 amp
3. Horn, brake light, alarm system 15 amp
4. Motronic, fuel pump, diagnosis 15 amp

Center fuse box.
5. Instrument cluster, computer 4 amp
6. Heated grips switch 4 amp
7. Windshield adjusting relay, sockets 1&2 15 amp
8. Radio, reading lamp, topcase interior light
power socket 15 amp

Left-side fuse box (clutch side).
9. Right cooling fan 4 amp
10. Left cooling fan 4 amp
11. Seat heating 15 amp
12. Cruise control 15 amp

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dick. I'll take a look at those fuses and the solution hopefully will be that.

James

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is actualy switch that operates the fans, screwed into the back of the head. they operate independent of the ECM. Make sure the subharness from the switch is still plugged in. Also check your battery, I had similar issues last year from a battery with a bad cell.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed out the fuses and no joy. Battery is a new Odyssey so I don't suspect it is the battery. I guess I'll take some tupperware off and see if I can find that switch.

James

·
Registered
338 Posts
You do have an independent engine temperature sensor--a red light , aside from the temp. guage. If this does not come on, you should be ok. I assume you checked your radiator fill.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
lesn said:
You do have an independent engine temperature sensor--a red light , aside from the temp. guage. If this does not come on, you should be ok. I assume you checked your radiator fill.
Radiator fluid level is fine. The red light has not come on but I am sure it will if I continue to drive as it is without fans. It's hot here and I am trying to avoid a meltdown.

UPDATE: I reset the TPS since I had not done it after putting in the new battery and let the bike idle once again. The fans now come on right at the first, white hash mark that begins into the red range. I am not sure if the TPS did anything honestly but the fans are now coming on. I admit to being a bit OCD and was thinking that they came on earlier but I could have very well been mistaken. The red engine light did not come on at any time.

Thanks for the advice guys.Looks like I'm okay.

James

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
aztechmaster said:
There is actualy switch that operates the fans, screwed into the back of the head. they operate independent of the ECM. Make sure the subharness from the switch is still plugged in. Also check your battery, I had similar issues last year from a battery with a bad cell.
That is not a switch but another temp sensor that talks to the ECU. Then the ECU talks to the fan relay. It does more than just cause the fans to run at 221 degrees it also runs the ECU out of full rich as it heats up. If it is unplugged the symptom is rich all the time.

The temperature gage, on the other hand, is driven by a sensor up on the water/oil pump unit that does NOT go through the ECU.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
aztechmaster said:
I had it backwards? I fought a similar problem last year, on my 99. Thanks for the info!
You were close because if that is unplugged the fans will never come on since the ECU will think the engine is still cold. So in that respect it was an OFF switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts