BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning my LT, I noticed a lot of bugs and crap in the radiator fins.
Searching here, I found this quote:
"I have used a high pressure hose on my bikes. Just use it smartly, like do not place it where you damage parts. Handlebars, radio buttons, etc......... Great to clean out the radiator for bugs and fairing. Have used it on the windshield too, to get the bugs off."

Though the temp gauge shows the engine is running in the bottom third, I have yet to ride in temperatures over the low 70's F (we're still waiting for real summer here in southern Ontario!), so blockage/air flow restriction is not yet a problem.

However, any advice on how often to clean out the radiator fins?
And more importantly, any tricks or methods to effectively remove the debris, or things to avoid doing?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Howdy.. folks here have mentioned Hydrogen Peroxide 3% for BugGutz nuking.

I'm guessing one spray bottle full of that and sprayed in the fins. wait until the bubbling subsides, respray... then hose out... you should be able to see a flashlight shined behind it.

A standard garden hose set on "flush" rather than "stream" will help wash out the remnants...

Finally, a little compressed air shot through to take out any other bits...

The key is to NOT blast "sideways"... don't want to bend fins or flex where soldered to the tubes as that might spring a leak.

·
Registered
698 Posts
cfell said:
Howdy.. folks here have mentioned Hydrogen Peroxide 3% for BugGutz nuking.

I'm guessing one spray bottle full of that and sprayed in the fins. wait until the bubbling subsides, respray... then hose out... you should be able to see a flashlight shined behind it.

A standard garden hose set on "flush" rather than "stream" will help wash out the remnants...

Finally, a little compressed air shot through to take out any other bits...

The key is to NOT blast "sideways"... don't want to bend fins or flex where soldered to the tubes as that might spring a leak.
After doing that you might want to consider doing what 'motorhead' posted. I did & don't have any bugs in my radiators.
Follow the link & see attached pictures http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=285984&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=High%20Flow%20radiator%20screens&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=285984

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those rad screens look great, Bighopper.
Thanks for the excellent pics and the link.

How did you mount them/hold them in place?
David

·
Registered
698 Posts
I used some small Velcro. Put them on the screen, at the corners then carefully put them against the rad's so the mating Velcro stuck to the lip's of the rad's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts