BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am enjoying the tearing down of my LT for the 12,000 maintenance. As I twisted the cap to the left, it went a quarter of the way and then stopped due to a plastic tab on the neck that the radiator cap sits on. Even after going back and forth on the cap, it still wouldn't come over...I even tried pulling it down to get around the tab, but no luck.

So tell me, what's the secret to removing the cap?

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Glenn, you need to press downward on the cap while twisting it off.

HTH,
John
southern_nj said:
I am enjoying the tearing down of my LT for the 12,000 maintenance. As I twisted the cap to the left, it went a quarter of the way and then stopped due to a plastic tab on the neck that the radiator cap sits on. Even after going back and forth on the cap, it still wouldn't come over...I even tried pulling it down to get around the tab, but no luck.

So tell me, what's the secret to removing the cap?

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. Let me run back to the bike and try it again. I didn't want to put too much pressure on it.

Thanks.

G

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It turns anti-clockwise if I remember correctly.

If you can´t do it by hand use a hand tool to give you some more purchase.

It will come off.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
simoncharles said:
It turns anti-clockwise if I remember correctly.

1+ Looking down at the cap (even though you may not be able to see the cap), push down and rotate about 1/2 turn (counterclockwise), until it stops moving. At that point, you will hit a stop. Again push down and rotate (counterclockwise) approximately 1/4 or less turn. Now it's released, you're past the stop and you're home free.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just took the cap off my 2005 K1200LT a week ago for the first time. It was tight as hell to force it to the first stop & it took a massive effort to get it off the rest of the way. Yes, it turns off CCW looking from the top.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I may have used a dowel & light weight hammer as a drive pin against the cap until it ramped up onto the last bit. Be careful though as the tank cover is only plastic.

Before you put it back on, spray some silicon spray on the inside of the cover. You will find that this makes it free and easy to remove and replace. Too bad they didn't do this at the factory.

Good luck! :wave

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is not turning, it is getting past that point of the tab...I am reaching from the bottom and then up, so I can't really get any leverage on it. I am thinking I need to reach it from the top. If so, do I need to remove the gas tank to get at it?

Glenn

·
Registered
975 Posts
southern_nj said:
The problem is not turning, it is getting past that point of the tab...I am reaching from the bottom and then up, so I can't really get any leverage on it. I am thinking I need to reach it from the top. If so, do I need to remove the gas tank to get at it?

Glenn
Mine was the same - would not budge past that stop as reached from the BOTTOM - not enough leverage for me! AFAIK, this was the first time in 10 years the cap has been removed... :D

Had to take the side plastics off, then was able to press down from the TOP (as you suggested). No need to take the tank off, tho.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gino: A few questions:

How were you able to press down from the top? Did you take off anything else to get that leverage?

How did you refill the radiator? Seems it would be tough to snake a plastic hose to get to top.

Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I got mine over the tang & off without pressing from the top but it took a lot of effort & now that I think of it, gloves to get a better grip. The side fairings were removed but not the top. Be sure to spray silicon onto the neoprene surface of the cap for the next time.

I refilled it hanging a jar overhead for antifreeze, a ~1/4 inch plastic tube about 4 ft long taped into position with duct tape, & siphoned the mix into the tank until it ran over. While siphoning, I milked one of the lower hoses to pulsate the volume & help expel air. It took maybe 20 minutes to backfill about 3.7 quarts including the rear reservoir. Have patience or you will have a real mess. The siphon was started with a small syringe.

Check the level at the rear reservoir again after you've run it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
southern_nj said:
Gino: A few questions:

How were you able to press down from the top? Did you take off anything else to get that leverage?

How did you refill the radiator? Seems it would be tough to snake a plastic hose to get to top.

Thanks.
Well, not exactly "from the top" but I was able to get more leverage on the cap with the plastics removed and was able to use both hands, IIRC.

As other have mentioned, funnel with plastic hose to refill...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome...thanks for the note. I will make another attempt tonight. My problem is that my hand seems to be too big to reall get a real grip on it.

Keep you posted

G

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the bike again this evening and tried to grab the radiator cap from the bottom...no luck. I just ended up moving the fuel tank back and the cap came off without an issue. Still don;t know why it wouldn't twist off -- damn.

Nonetheless, it is an 05 and it looks like this is a perfect time to the 12K maintenance to the bike -- which requires everyone to pull the tank back to get the air filter and gas filter out.

Thanks for everyone's input as it helped a lot.

G

·
Registered
637 Posts
Now as long as you have the tank off, put in the metal fuel line disconnects from Beemer Boneyard. One of the plastic OEM ones on my LT was ready to break.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
You'd never be able to get it in there w/o taking off the gas tank etc - and then your hand can do it anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts