BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have had your radiator cap blow off while riding?

Well, let me tell you what happens:
1. The temp goes up.
2. The red light comes on.
3. The CB quits working and goes totally blank.
4. Bitchin Betty goes on vacation, but the GPS is still working.
5. Radio quits working in you headset, but the exterior speakers still work.
6. iPod no longer plays through the headset but the iPod still works.
7. Cell phone quits working through the headset, but the cell phone still works
8. Smart tire quits working and goes completely blank.
9. Valentine quits making any audio in the headset, yet I can hear it before I start the bike and the arrows still illuminate.

I have checked every fuse that I could get my hands on and even replaced a few that appeared corroded.

I do believe the sudden departure of the radiator cap shorted out the comm system.

Has anyone ever had a comm system short out? Is that a complete replacement?

TIA for any advice,

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Coni,

With all that happening I think I'd take the damn bike out back and shoot the damn thing!

Sorry for all your misery. I'm not sure where I'd start. Has it dryed out yet?

Tom

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, it dried out real good. It happened on a Saturday in Las Vegas @ 111 degree heat while in a rally. I had to have the bike towed 248 miles back to Salt Lake (see I would not let Ali stay in Nevada again) There we waited for Tuesday to roll around for a BMW shop to open. So, it is dried out.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Clean it up

You might see if it can be taken apart and cleaned with a contact cleaner or something like that... Scrub the circuit board with a toothbrush to remove the corrosion that has formed and caused it to malfunction..And the pots if it has any..

I've cleaned lots of stuff out of lots of electonics and had it go back to working just fine...

If they won't do it send it to me and I'll clean it up for you..;)

John

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
black1200lt said:
Oh yeah, it dried out real good. It happened on a Saturday in Las Vegas @ 111 degree heat while in a rally. I had to have the bike towed 248 miles back to Salt Lake (see I would not let Ali stay in Nevada again) There we waited for Tuesday to roll around for a BMW shop to open. So, it is dried out.
The proplem is probably the anti-freeze. Any circuits/connectors that got soaked need to be cleaned well with clean water to remove all traces of the anti-freeze and dried well. Electronics don't need a dead short, just a resistive path, which the anti-freeze probably supplies, to cause problems.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Alrighty, thanks guys for your input. Sounds like I have created a time intensive project. (as usual)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Radiator Cap Blew Off

Hi, Coni,

Corrosion X is a product which you can use to prevent rusting on marine, electrical, SCUBA diving equipment, etc. During the course of tracking down the problem, you might want to consider using this product to protect electrical connections, PC boards, etc., on your LT, Coni. The website is: www.corrosionx.com
I've used the product for a number of years to protect SS parts from salt water. Entire aviation and marine radios have either been sprayed or immersed in the product to prevent corrosion. The website indicates that even TrueValue stores carry it or you can locate dealers on-line. Good luck with solving the problem.

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts