BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I just did a total clutch on 2001 1200lt. Now when I turn on the cooling fan run. Can anyone help?
This is seen occasionally after a major clutch / dismantling job.
Most common causes are:
1) you forgot to reconnect the coolant sensor OR it is not making a good contact with its matching connector on harness

2) you may have damaged the internal wiring that is part of the sensor IF you have lowered engine without first disconnecting it at harness (the wire attached with sensor is about 13 inches long and goes up from rearmost cylinder head)

In both cases above the EFI system goes into a so-called "limp home mode" when it cannot read a probable value from this sensor. In this mode the EFI system assumes the engine temp is already warmed up to 176 F (80 C) making cold start difficult. Furthermore, it runs both radiator fans full time (after ignition ON) as it is unable to get the exact engine coolant temp.

See this previous tread on same subject where you will see how to locate AND test this sensor (with photos..):

Reactions: djmellor and kbob12

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most common causes are:
1) you forgot to reconnect the coolant sensor OR it is not making a good contact with its matching connector on harness

2) you may have damaged the internal wiring that is part of the sensor IF you have lowered engine without first disconnecting it at harnes
Most common causes are:

2) you may have damaged the internal wiring that is part of the sensor IF you have lowered engine without first disconnecting it at harness (the wire attached with sensor is about 13 inches long and goes up from rearmost cylinder head)

In both cases above the EFI system goes into a so-called "limp home mode" when it cannot read a probable value from this sensor. In this mode the EFI system assumes the engine temp is already warmed up to 176 F (80 C) making cold start difficult. Furthermore, it runs both radiator fans full time (after ignition ON) as it is unable to get the exact engine coolant temp.

See this previous tread on same subject where you will see how to locate AND test this sensor (with photos..):

I just did a total clutch on 2001 1200lt. Now when I turn on the cooling fan run. Can anyone help?
s (the wire attached with sensor is about 13 inches long and goes up from rearmost cylinder head)

Thank you. I will give that a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts