BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in January I had a very intimate encounter with a washing machine that was dancing down the #1 eastbound lane of Interstate 80 near Sacramento. I bounced off it but kept the bike upright. Initially the damage appeared to be primarily cosmetic (destroyed all of the left side plastic, including the saddlebag) but later the shop found that the left cylinder head had moved, cracking the cylinder and driving the valves into the top of the piston.

I picked the bike up this last Saturday after two months in the shop and a bit over $8600 in repairs. We appear to be almost fully recovered. The left side top end is new (with only 43K on the engine I'm not too concerned about uneven wear on the two cylinders). Between bringing it home the twisty way and discharging my assigned honey-duties I managed to get around 150 miles of smiles over the weekend. I just have to install one small supplemental LED turn signal that I had added but got missed by the shop.

Other than the wait for the painted plastic parts to come from Germany, I have to say I'm pretty happy with how the whole repair went. BMW Roadside Assistance helped get the bike to A&S in Roseville, who did the repairs. State Farm treated me well after some initial hiccup on getting the adjuster out there, and didn't blink an eye at the additional engine work discovered during the buildup. A&S even pre-loaded the repair invoice with the retorqueing of the engine after breakin of the new parts so that it got covered by the insurance. And the new chrome exhaust header looks ... new. Even smells new.

I have a new-found sympathy for you folks in snow country who have to mothball your bikes for the winter. It's been tough these last two months, watching all the posts from folks who were riding. I guess that if you have to have your bike out of commission for two months, January and February are the two months to do it. But in California we've had a very mild winter and those have actually been two really nice riding months. Now that I have the bike back I suppose the rain will start.

But, we're on the road again. Not sure if it's more Willy Nelson or the Canned Heat right now, but either way, it's good.

I said it in January and I'll say it again - keep practicing those evasive maneuvers so they become automatic. The only decision I had time to make was "swerve left or swerve right", and neither was perfect. After that decision my actions were unthinking. I would not be here unscarred if I had hit that thing square. As it was, the cylinder sticking out saved my leg.

JayJay

·
Registered
726 Posts
JayJay. So glad to hear you are up and riding.... :)

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Welcome back to the road, sir.

Nice "spin" on the story ending.

:histerica

Had to do that.......
Probably the millionth washer joke you've heard.

·
Registered
201 Posts
JayJay:

Just for curiosity, what was the brand of the offending machine? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TeSmSp said:
JayJay:

Just for curiosity, what was the brand of the offending machine? :confused: :confused:
Large and white. Given four lanes of traffic stopped by two Chippies (one on an R12RTP, he sympathized with me), horrendous winds, and a dead motorcycle leaking oil all over hell and gone, I wasn't too interested in determining further details. CalTrans came and picked up the roadkill.

And yeah, I've been the brunt of a few washing machine jokes in the last two months. Things like "it was a good clean break", numerous variations on spinning the story (thanks Dean for another one), and of course the whole Situational Awareness thing of "why in the world weren't you anticipating a washing machine to come bouncing down the lane at you"? Last week I was in a conversation with a co-worker whose brother had gotten T-boned on a motorcycle in a downtown intersection and I related how I generally feel much safer on the freeway where everyone is going approximately the same speed and same direction. So of course she piped back with "yeah, even washing machines". Smartass.

And the final irony - when I got my bike back from the shop they had washed it! They told me that considering the nature of the accident they couldn't send it out as dirty as it was when I brought it in.

Thanks for all the kind words. And true to form, today it's raining with continued rain forecast through next Sunday. We need it, but what timing. Sheesh!

JayJay

·
Registered
233 Posts
JayJay said:
Last week I was in a conversation with a co-worker whose brother had gotten T-boned on a motorcycle in a downtown intersection and I related how I generally feel much safer on the freeway where everyone is going approximately the same speed and same direction. So of course she piped back with "yeah, even washing machines". Smartass.JayJay
She might have been a smart ass, but I think factually incorrect. Had the washing machine been going about the same speed as you were, I'm sure you would have passed it safely..............unless perhaps it was changing lanes without signalling.

Kidding aside, you are a lucky lucky guy, though I think like most good luck, some of it is manufactured by the lucky party. Hope you enjoy a sunny day soon..........and when you get a few, send one north. It snowed here in lowland Puget Sound this morning!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts