BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
136 Posts
Scary. I'm glad you're doing OK. A fella riding his Harley with a group last weekend, including my next door neighbors, went off the road and died. Kinda has us rattled.

Steve
Seems all too common. This summer a Harley rider in a group was driving over his head entering a blind corner, ran out of ground clearance, and went wide and hit my friend and his wife head on.

You can google highway 555 and see how many Hog owners crash trying to ride even at a moderate pace.
The biggest threat with these destination road experiences are other stupid riders riding beyond their limits.

· Premium Member
903 Posts
I won't ride the local mountain roads on weekends considering all the squids out there trying to thrill/kill themselves.
Actually, fast and furious car drivers and squid motorcyclists suddenly off-roading it with deadly consequences.

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
I won't ride the local mountain roads on weekends considering all the squids out there trying to thrill/kill themselves.
Actually, fast and furious car drivers and squid motorcyclists suddenly off-roading it with deadly consequences.
Since I am retired, and have been happily so for many years now, I try to not ride on weekends, especially Sunday for similar reasons. Not Sunday because that's when you have lots of "Sunday drivers" around on both 4 and 2 wheels! How would you like to be stuck behind a pack of 30+ noisy HD in big crowd, riding at 50 mph, on country road?

Reactions: Ultra54 and kbob12

· Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
330 Posts
Whats a squid? I think what you are referring to we call weekend warriors? Or idiots!

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Reactions: kbob12

· Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
330 Posts
Aha...no a squid is not a weekend warrior then. Most WWs have all the gear like they are on a racetrack and ride like they are too. Trouble is they ignore anyone around them and do crazy stuff. Nearly been wiped out by them myself. Mostly they don't ride much...just weekends. Don't usually see them more than 100kms from a city.
They dont have many accidents but they sure cause a few.

· Registered
R1200rt LC 2018
32 Posts
Aha...no a squid is not a weekend warrior then. Most WWs have all the gear like they are on a racetrack and ride like they are too. Trouble is they ignore anyone around them and do crazy stuff. Nearly been wiped out by them myself. Mostly they don't ride much...just weekends. Don't usually see them more than 100kms from a city.
We call the weekend warriors "power rangers" here (matching leathers, helmet and even bike colour schemes). Squids rarely out after summer sunshine (2weeks approx) due to all the rain here. So many nicknames though. I tend to avoid Sundays or Bank Holidays here for that reason. Where I live they pass like they are on a race track (main road) and wheelie past traffic.

· Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Has anyone seen a squid in motion. Imagine that on two wheels!
Actually, I have!!!! ;) I used to be deeply into skindiving back in my youth, and have seen fairly large squids (each about 18 inches long, just the body length) in their natural environment. That was in Wellington, New Zealand.

• Wow
Reactions: kbob12

· Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with K1600 GT , some pull to the left some not. My old k1200GT 2004 use to do the same but we found that taking out the shim from the rear wheel fixed the issue. Also with the K1300 gt had similar issue (pulling to one side) there you had to loosen up the front wheel and have the front bounce a couple of times and then tight it up again. It worked for me. Problem solved. If I had an RT at least will try anything to correct that pull.

· Registered
178 Posts
My 2017 rides true and so have my other RT bikes. I wouldn't think BMW engineers a bike to veer off-center.
You have never riden a 2017 BMW S1000RR...let go of the bars, and they all veer!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts