BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I own a '21 R1250RT. When I take my hands off from the handle bar, my bike immidiately steers left. I tested the bike at different type of roads, unwindy weather conditions. The result is always same.

BMW service first checked the front suspesion and after a test drive explained that the issue was bike's natural caracteristic feature and they didn't make anything.
And more,they said that these issues was faced by many BMW motorad users. according to PUMA cases, there is nothing to do with my bike, I should not take off my hand from the bar.

I used different bikes in my life and first time BMW. So I do wonder on their explanation!!
So, Has any of us, faced this issue ever?

I thanks to all you. Your posts are very important for me.

· Premium Member
6,596 Posts
Good question about the tires, and NO it shouldn't do that!!! The bike should be able to ride itself, and definitely should not have any bias in any direction.

· Registered
2022 R1250 RT
245 Posts
My 2022 tracks perfectly with hands removed.

Seems as though the dealer should be checking this... (note this is from the 1250RS manual) It is also part of the 600 mile service run-in check along with a host of other items.
Maybe someone with the RT manual could post the directive

Font Parallel Document

· Registered
2021 R1250 RT
225 Posts
If I'm riding any bike and it has a tendency to go slight left / right like this, I check the following:

1) Is it the road --> many roads are sloped for drainage, etc. and can make this happen

2) Is my riding position or load on the bike --> uneven loading of the saddlebags or a slight variation in riding position can also cause this

3) Is it my tires --> Are they inflated correctly --> are they nearing the end of service life --> are they out of balance

4) Is it my steering head --> is it tight enough or is it too tight --> should be properly torqued down

5) Is it my front forks / front end below the steering head --> slight bend, uneven adjustment or weeping fork seal has cause this in the past for me

Hope you get it all sorted!

· Registered
1 Posts
Uneven weight distribution between the two saddlebags can cause this. Sometimes if I carry something heavy in one bag, it will make the bike slowly drift to that side, I can usually counteract this by shifting my weight in the saddle. Other than that, usually uneven wear on the front tire can cause this.

· Registered
293 Posts
Another possibility is that the forks were "twisted" slightly when the front wheel was installed. Put the bike on the center-stand, and loosen the front axle nuts. Bounce the front end to make sure the forks are working together and straight before tightening the axle nuts again.

· Registered
26 Posts
I also have a 2019 R1250RT with shamefully low miles, and it tracks straight (a little too straight, but that’s a story for another time) when you take your hands off the bars. And this is with about 2-3 lbs in weight in the left side case.

· Premium Member
376 Posts
What I found with the infamous left pull on the K bikes was. The wiring and cabling was too tight on the left side. I cut all the factory wire ties and replaced them leaving them loose enough for the wires and cabling to slide if needed. No more left pull ...................................

· Registered
231 Posts
What I found with the infamous left pull on the K bikes was. The wiring and cabling was too tight on the left side. I cut all the factory wire ties and replaced them leaving them loose enough for the wires and cabling to slide if needed. No more left pull ...................................
Thanks for the follow up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
47 Posts
Hello Guys,

I own a '21 R1250RT. When I take my hands off from the handle bar, my bike immidiately steers left. I tested the bike at different type of roads, unwindy weather conditions. The result is always same.

BMW service first checked the front suspesion and after a test drive explained that the issue was bike's natural caracteristic feature and they didn't make anything.
And more,they said that these issues was faced by many BMW motorad users. according to PUMA cases, there is nothing to do with my bike, I should not take off my hand from the bar.

I used different bikes in my life and first time BMW. So I do wonder on their explanation!!
So, Has any of us, faced this issue ever?

I thanks to all you. Your posts are very important for me.
I have a 2022 RT (1100 miles with Road 5s) and there is no wobble/shake/unwanted steering with my hands off the bars. Dead neutral. This is a mechanical problem with the front end or a tire problem. Address your concerns to BMW as this is a safety issue.

· Registered
52 Posts
Good question about the tires, and NO it shouldn't do that!!! The bike should be able to ride itself, and definitely should not have any bias in any direction.
Agreed. I can, but not advising folks to do it, take my hands off the handlebars on a calm day at 80 miles an hour and mt 2022 R1259RT will go straight as long as I want it to. Steve

· Registered
1 Posts
I am on my second (not a happy story) 2022 R1250RT. Both bikes tend to steer slightly left when releasing the handlebars. The first one I put 1000 miles on before it was destroyed. The second i have ridden about 2900 miles.

· Premium Member
2022 R1250RT
15 Posts
Destroyed?
Yes. Tboned an SUV that pulled out of a stop sign into my path in early March. First time in 50+ years of riding that I have contacted another vehicle. Failure to yield. Laid me up for a little bit. I was very fortunate. I feel like the design of the bike was part of what saved me. Ordered another within days. Been riding it since late June.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts