BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just coming up to 9500kms (6000 miles) on my 1250. Front tire is showing cupping signs so need to consider next ones.

Ive had PR4s on previous RTs but looking for opinions on best fit now.

Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just about done with my first set of PR5GT's after about 10 sets of PR4GT's. Different tread pattern has reduced cupping, especially on the front tyre. They feel a bit more solid in the wet, although the 4's were no slouches. Gave the tyres a bit of stick through the Victorian High Country and they did not disappoint. By the time these 5's are done with I reckon I will have got an extra 2000k's more than the 4's. Recommend.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I had 4 sets of Michelin PR4s on my 1200RT and was disappointed when my new 2019 1250RT came fitted with Metzeler Roadtech 01s. But I have found I feel more confident with the Metzelers and will be getting them again. There are horses for courses of course, and I think the Metzelers better suit my riding style.
While it is getting a bit dated now - having been made in 2017 - the Fortnine
review of touring tyres explains the features of 4 popular touring tyres and may help you decide which is more suited to you. After watching it I realised why I like the Metzelers over the Michelins.

Ian

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hard to beat Conti RA3 GT for wethead RT: there nothing wrong w/ them, and everything right: zero scrub-in required due to their manufacturing process, quiet, decent shape retention, fabulous grip wet/dry, little to no cupping over the life of the tire and that is at standard recommended psi, great in linear grooved pavement, and most of all against PR4GT, Angel GT, Metz Z8: best turn-in and line holding of the bunch. Wear is right in there w/ the others.

Reactions: Shoptime

·
Registered
248 Posts
The best tire review I've seen so far. I will be going to RS III for my next set. I am a Michalen guy also and liked the PR4's allot. Please watch. Moshe makes allot of sense with tire reviews :

·
Registered
278 Posts
The best tire review I've seen so far. I will be going to RS III for my next set. I am a Michalen guy also and liked the PR4's allot. Please watch. Moshe makes allot of sense with tire reviews :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWINGVeF_YM&t=40s
Interesting review, but the guy does 100 miles motorway and 7 miles not. Motorway miles destroy tyres. That review wouldn't convince me to go to Dunlops as I do most of my mileage off motorways and only ride motorways if I really have too. I have always been a Michelin bloke as well, my 1250 came with Z8s and to be honest I have found them really good, haven't noticed any loss of grip and I ride all year around in the UK, so plenty of wet weather riding. This makes me think I might try the Metz 01s next as opposed to the Michelin PR5GTs :)

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
The best tire review I've seen so far. I will be going to RS III for my next set. I am a Michalen guy also and liked the PR4's allot. Please watch. Moshe makes allot of sense with tire reviews :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWINGVeF_YM&t=40s
I like this review. I never owned Dunlop motorcycle tires, so I would never have even considered them. I have had them on some vehicles and never really thought they were as good as Michelin, but will definitely consider these for my bike.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Just my $.02 but on my RT's (2006 and 2016) I've have run Metzlers, Dunlop and Michelin. Currently running Michelin PR4's and love them and will most likely go with PR5's when these are done. Tried the Dunlop RS3's and they were just OK. Cupped pretty bad and did not wear anywhere close to advertised. But as always YMMV.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just coming up to 9500kms (6000 miles) on my 1250. Front tire is showing cupping signs so need to consider next ones.

Ive had PR4s on previous RTs but looking for opinions on best fit now.

Any ideas appreciated.
If you want grip Pirelli Angel GT. Get noisy at 5k but I would just replace it with the same. It was that good.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
If you want grip Pirelli Angel GT. Get noisy at 5k but I would just replace it with the same. It was that good.
I am afraid that I cannot second that!

My previous set of tires was the Angel GT (A-spec), and at the beginning I thought that it was going to be my all-time favorite tires! The grip in fast corners were great, and it tracks very precisely, as compared to the Michelins and Metzler that I had used in the past. The opinion took a 180 deg. turn after a few thousands miles. Here are the things that I had found wrong with the tires:

1. For some reasons, the low speed grip on concrete is bad! I always do full-lean turns even at low speed, which means that I heel hard over all the time. The Angel GT rear tire quite often slip by several inches, on concrete, while making those turns some of the times. At first, I chalked it up to new tires needing scrubbing in, but the issue persisted for the whole time that I had the tire on my RT.

2. High speed grip on the rear tire seem to degraded after a few thousand miles. I ride the curves pretty hard, and there are several set of curves that I ride through frequently. I noticed after a few thousand miles that the rear tire would take a skip of several inches while I was hard over, at about 70 mph, on some of the sharp curves. A little scary, and had never happened to me on the same curves with any of the Michelin (PR2, PR3, PR4GT) or the Metzler Z8 that I had used previously!

2. Noise. I always wear good earplugs when I ride. In the past, I had read of people complaining about tire noise, and I had always asked myself what the heck they were talking about, because with earplugs in place, I have never heard any tire noise! Well, that changed with the Angel GT! After several thousand mile on the tires, I was starting to hear strange noise! Since I had never experienced tire noise before, I first thought that it was coming from the bike, but eventually realized that it was the front tire! VERY loud!!!!

2. The last straw - around 8k miles, I started to experience a strange behavior from the tire, that I can't explain the cause! What happened was that around 7.5k - 8k miles on the set of tires, I was experiencing a strong resistance to my leaning the RT over to make low speed turns! Usually, I don't even think about counter-steer when I make those turns. The bike just go over into the leaned-turns with zero apparent efforts. However, at this point on the Angel GT, I found myself having to force the counter-steer to get the RT to lean over at low speed. High speed turns seemed to be quite normal. The resistance to low speed counter-steer got worse as the miles piled up! No, it's not the tire pressure, even if that's exactly what it felt like! I always ride with my tires at 40/42 (F/R), check and adjust before each rides.

So, I got rid of that set of tires after more than 8k miles, with plenty of thread left. Probably good for another 4k miles, and the front tire was fairly lightly cupped. I have had much worse cupping on the Michelin before they were replaced, typically at more than 10k miles. I now have the Michelin Road 5, and all of the above mentioned issues are gone, completely!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I now have the Michelin Road 5, and all of the above mentioned issues are gone, completely!

Actually, it's Road 5 rather than PR5!
Just got a set on my RT, but it's too early to say much about it yet.
Dang....you must be as great of a rider as you think you are to go ride over 8k in less than an hour!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Love these tire threads :)

Much like oil threads .... you find 5 guys who love PR4's and five who hate them ... but love RS3's and then 5 hate them. And round and round we go.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Dang....you must be as great of a rider as you think you are to go ride over 8k in less than an hour!
BTW, I saw your original post, and if that's the attitude that you take with anybody who disagrees with you, then I feel pity for you!!

BTW, learn to read English.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Love these tire threads :)

Much like oil threads .... you find 5 guys who love PR4's and five who hate them ... but love RS3's and then 5 hate them. And round and round we go.
Not really. you just gather all the inputs and decide what's best for you. there are no right or wrong.

Last year, I had gone with the Angel GT despite warnings from another member here, who had also written a long negative review of the tire. I went with the Angel because I had read several other great reviews of that tire elsewhere, and needed to find out for myself. Turns out Noel was correct, at least based on what I experienced.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not really. you just gather all the inputs and decide what's best for you. there are no right or wrong.

Last year, I had gone with the Angel GT despite warnings from another member here, who had also written a long negative review of the tire. I went with the Angel because I had read several other great reviews of that tire elsewhere, and needed to find out for myself. Turns out Noel was correct, at least based on what I experienced.
That's my point ... there is not right or wrong. You can get all the inputs which in many cases vary 180* and then the best solution is to try them yourself on YOUR bike on YOUR roads with YOUR riding style. It is interesting reading for sure but that's about it. All the tires are good for some riders you just need to figure out which are good for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And when you find the one you like they will “improve it” and you are back in the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts

I had gotten the Angel GT 2s which will be retired prematurely next week when I replace them with the R5GTs.... i figured i'd try them but not happy overall.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
That's my point ... there is not right or wrong. You can get all the inputs which in many cases vary 180* and then the best solution is to try them yourself on YOUR bike on YOUR roads with YOUR riding style. It is interesting reading for sure but that's about it. All the tires are good for some riders you just need to figure out which are good for you.
Exactly!! So we are in agreement. It's absolutely useless statement to say that this is good, or this is bad without data behind it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts