BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW R1250RT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of mileage the 1250 clutch is supposed to last? Im at 29,500 miles and im getting clutch slip when trying to accelerate in 5th and 6th gear. Dealer said thats definitely the clutch going out and they want $1400 to replace it or $1100 for just parts. Are there any good online sources to buy stock or aftermarket clutch kits?

·
Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
43 Posts
I get an average of 20k on my 2017 RTP clutches. One of them lasted just over 40k, not sure how as I wasn't riding it much different than normal. Wear more in the spring/summer when we're training in the cones more. I would think a civilian, riding daily even, should get well over 50k conservatively, unless they're slipping the clutch a lot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Only 20 to 50k out of a clutch???? Say what!?? I have owned four BMW boxers that I took well over 100k miles and the clutch (dry) all lasted over 100k. My expectation was that the wet clutches would last longer. I've read several articles that have said the same thing. I had the clutch on my former 2005 R1200RT changed at about 115k. The dealer said it looked like it had another 30 to 40k miles of life left. What it the heck are y'all doing to your clutches?

·
Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
43 Posts
Only 20 to 50k out of a clutch???? Say what!?? I have owned four BMW boxers that I took well over 100k miles and the clutch (dry) all lasted over 100k. My expectation was that the wet clutches would last longer. I've read several articles that have said the same thing. I had the clutch on my former 2005 R1200RT changed at about 115k. The dealer said it looked like it had another 30 to 40k miles of life left. What it the heck are y'all doing to your clutches?
Well, this is why my clutches don't last very long. Can't speak for others.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
One has to think that there is some leaving from a stop with too high of RPM going on. I have a friend who does this and he is a long time rider. I do not have the heart to correct his technique. Smooth low rpm fast engagement starts are desired. These bikes have plenty of clutch in torque.
(yes, slow speed, rear brake only while slipping the clutch changes the equation considerably. So does going up Pikes Peak on a Sunday in traffic, my buddy totaled his doing this and less than 20K on the bike.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of mileage the 1250 clutch is supposed to last? Im at 29,500 miles and im getting clutch slip when trying to accelerate in 5th and 6th gear. Dealer said thats definitely the clutch going out and they want $1400 to replace it or $1100 for just parts. Are there any good online sources to buy stock or aftermarket clutch kits?
I had a similar problem and it needed the clutch fluid changed and the return on the master cylinder was plugged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts