BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 R1200RT, I removed the transmission drain plug to change the fluid. It is wedged between the bottom of the engine case and exhaust. The pug is magnetized and snaps against the exhaust which makes it very difficult to line up on the thread to get it started threading into the block. Any tips on how to get this plug installed?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Well, the WetHeads have an integral transmission with the crankcase, so no plug for draining a separate transmission.

If the plug that you removed is under the LH exhaust near the O2 sensor, that is the oil pressure control valve that has a plunger and a spring to regulate overall engine oil pressure.
The repair manual states that you need to "release the exhaust manifold" before the Core activity of Removing the oil pressure control valve.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2016 R1200RT, I removed the transmission drain plug to change the fluid. It is wedged between the bottom of the engine case and exhaust. The pug is magnetized and snaps against the exhaust which makes it very difficult to line up on the thread to get it started threading into the block. Any tips on how to get this plug installed?
There is no transmission drain plug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much, removed exhaust,reinstalled plug and exhaust and refilled oil.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Thanks much, removed exhaust,reinstalled plug and exhaust and refilled oil.
I am confused. Can you explain a little further. There is no need to remove the exhaust - or even loosen it - when doing an oil change.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
70 Posts
I am confused.
I think if you had taken the time to read the (very short) thread before commenting you wouldn't be confused. 😊

Just saying.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Just read it again and my comment stands. Can you spell it out for me what I am missing.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
70 Posts
Can you spell it out for me what I am missing.
Ok, here's the blow-by-blow report:

The user (bunchp) believed he was removing the oil drain plug, but in error had actually removed the Oil Pressure Control Valve (OPCV) screw plug. However, due to the interference between the exhaust manifold and the length of the OPCV, he was unable to reinstall and tighten the OPCV assembly. (Post #1)

Note: picture is of both plugs (in a 2020 Wethead) in the port-side engine half during disassembly. Drain plug is #5 and OPCV assembly is capped with screw plug #1.

Oil Pressure Control Valve.JPG

Boxflyer pointed out the apparent mistake and provided guidance from the repair manual instructions that the exhaust manifold would have to be released to successfully reinstall the OPCV. (Post #2)

Bunchp understood Boxflyer's comments, released the exhaust manifold, reinserted the OPCV, reinstalled the exhaust manifold, refilled oil and (I assume) made the engine ready for the street again. (Post #4)

Hope this helps you understand that your comment, "There is no need to remove the exhaust - or even loosen it - when doing an oil change", although totally accurate, wasn't at all the issue and the problem had already been successfully corrected 9 hours prior to your submission.

The reason that I commented at all was that I felt sure that bunchp was already slapping his head (as any of us would be) when he realized his error and it was his lucky day to get Boxflyer's on-target comment only 90 minutes after his posting. No sarcasm, no "why in the world...", etc. - just a great analysis and quick instructions.

Best regards,
Larry

Reactions: tvguy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts