BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched through the forums and was unable to find anything that could potentially help me solve my problem. If this has been discussed and I missed it could you please forward me to the topic and no need to take up space or bother anyone?

My bike won't start and worried there may be several issues. It is a 2008 R200RT. First, the fuel gauge is claiming the tank is empty, however I have put almost 2 gallons in the tank so I know there is fuel and it should show an amount. I have never had a fuel gauge issue before. It was low originally and on reserve before I added more fuel, but right now it doesn't register fuel even when I turn on the bike and let it sit for a bit. The fuel gauge stays showing empty and the fuel tank icon flashing. Second, I hear the fuel pump make a noise when I turn on the bike. It runs for a second or two. Third, when I try to crank the bike it pops out the pipes, but it never starts or even tries to sputter as if there is fuel in the cylinder or plugs firing. My first thought is bad fuel pump or fuel controller, but from what I understand when I heard the pump run it was pressuring the fuel system and there should be some fuel going to the cylinders. So shouldn't it try to turn over and start or fire? Since I am getting pops out the pipes I would assume the plugs are firing but maybe they aren't? So, I am stumped but of course I am no expert. Any help or advise would be appreciated, at the moment it seems I may have to tow it to the shop for repairs.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I guess the first question is how is your battery?

I am not sure a bad fuel strip will stop your bike from starting but try a search withing the forum?

Just trying to get everyone thinking.........

EDIT: Did a search and bad switch has been blamed for your symptoms. Some said spraying the switch with WD-40.

My SO Father was on his 3rd strip on his 2008 RT and I do not see where it causes a no start condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the battery as it was dead. So that is new. As for the fuel strip that requires a computer calibration for the unit does it not? Also, you said a bad switch? What switch do you mean specifically?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Assuming your 2008 is similar to my 2012 with a few exceptions. The fuel pump cycle is normal. The fuel quantity if it works like my 2012 will not move if you only added a couple of gallons. There is logic to this so it is not straight forward. We have different fuel transmitters but I bet other than that they operate similar. If your concerned about the quantity indication then fill the tank to full and it should come up on the indication. Try cycling the kill switch and see if you notice any differences on the display. On my 2012 the fuel indication goes blank as well as the oil temp indication. The red circle flash with brake failure goes out. This is when the kill switch is activated. Verify your battery is good. Clean contacts. Try to measure the cranking voltage. It should not drop below 10 volts. Give the battery a top off charge then try again. Check the coil connection to the plugs. An occasional pop means intermittent ignition. Is your fuel fresh? Did you perform any kind of maintenence recently? If so go back check what you did. Keep us posted, Good Luck.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
As for the fuel strip that requires a computer calibration for the unit does it not? Also, you said a bad switch? What switch do you mean specifically?
I am not too sure what switch he is talking about. Some say the fuel strip need calibrating, others do not. One thing, the fuel strip is under a 12 year extended warranty, so have a dealer replace it. Also, when the dealer installs a new fuel strip, they should update the software on the bike. They had to do this on mine before calibrating the fuel strip (so I assume they do calibrate it). I am on my third fuel strip.
Since you did not provide much information on your bike, it could be the fuel pump controller. Look to see if you have a silver or black controller. The older units are silver, with the newer units black. They had a issue where water would get inside them and create the no start problems. I have attached a picture of the fuel pump controller.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I called Motorrad and found out my bike has a recall on the fuel pump, an extended warranty on the fuel sensor (12 years) and a rear wheel flange recall none of which has been done. (I bought the bike used.)

I know the battery is fine, it was tested when I bought it and I have kept it on a tender. I can try to start the bike for a while before the battery would even lose enough amps. I also cleaned the contacts when I changed the batter, however one may have a short. There are two red wires connected. One must go to the starter, and guessing the other goes to the fuel pump and electronics but that is a total guess. Could one be shorted out and not getting the plugs to fire although everything else seems to work?

I could top it off and see what happens, right now I am guessing there is about two gallons worth of fuel and from my understanding the reserve is 1.25 gallons.

I did try cycling the kill switch, I also tried the throttle re calibration procedure where you open it fully, then close, with the kill switch on for 3-4 times. Wanted to make sure the throttle sensor was right. This was the process I found online somewhere on calibrating it. That didn't do anything obviously.

I don't have any engine lights on, but the red brake light does come on.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Interesting. I will spray some WD40 on the starter switch and see if it helps.
Not sure if it is your issue or not but it was something I found in a search on the forum.

Also remember a new battery does not equal a good battery. I would do as suggested and see what your voltage drops to when trying to start the bike.

If bad fuel I would think you would get a start just poor idle or running.

You do anything or add anything to the bike recently?

Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I searched through the forums and was unable to find anything that could potentially help me solve my problem. If this has been discussed and I missed it could you please forward me to the topic and no need to take up space or bother anyone?

My bike won't start and worried there may be several issues. It is a 2008 R200RT. First, the fuel gauge is claiming the tank is empty, however I have put almost 2 gallons in the tank so I know there is fuel and it should show an amount. I have never had a fuel gauge issue before. It was low originally and on reserve before I added more fuel, but right now it doesn't register fuel even when I turn on the bike and let it sit for a bit. The fuel gauge stays showing empty and the fuel tank icon flashing. Second, I hear the fuel pump make a noise when I turn on the bike. It runs for a second or two. Third, when I try to crank the bike it pops out the pipes, but it never starts or even tries to sputter as if there is fuel in the cylinder or plugs firing. My first thought is bad fuel pump or fuel controller, but from what I understand when I heard the pump run it was pressuring the fuel system and there should be some fuel going to the cylinders. So shouldn't it try to turn over and start or fire? Since I am getting pops out the pipes I would assume the plugs are firing but maybe they aren't? So, I am stumped but of course I am no expert. Any help or advise would be appreciated, at the moment it seems I may have to tow it to the shop for repairs.
Just to clarify, the engine turns when you hit the start? In that case, would that not mean the start switch is working as it should? I comes down to spark and fuel at that point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The engine turns over it just won't fire or run at all. The starter is clearly turning over the motor.

No, haven't added anything other than the new battery. That battery was tested before I even left the bike shop too. I am 99% certain it isn't the battery, but maybe one of the connectors is the problem, just not sure what each of the two red leads are operating independently.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Have you tried opening the throttle a little while cranking?

Battery sounds good. It's unlikely you would lose spark to both sides at once.

Check a spark plug to see if it is wet.

It's sounding more like the FPC.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Once the fuel light comes on it takes a while of riding after filling up for the fuel light to come off and for it to show fuel in the tank again, maybe a half minute or so. I can't confirm whether the bike needs to be running for it to come off of "reserve", but I suspect it does.
It's not the starter switch, the engine cranks over. Maybe get a can of starting fluid and spray into the airbox then try to start it - this would confirm if it's a fuel issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have tried the throttle. Thought of that one. Haven't thought of spraying something into the intake or airbox. Any idea where that is located?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have tried the throttle. Thought of that one. Haven't thought of spraying something into the intake or airbox. Any idea where that is located?
You have to take the seat and right side plastic off and you will see the airbox. If you get it to come briefly to life after spraying starting fluid (don't try anything other than starting fluid) I'd then remove the rest of the plastic and tank and check all connections to the fuel pump and tank.
This is what I'd do at this point, maybe someone has a better suggestion, but I would go after a fuel related solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is highly possible. Would at least like to know if it will fire so planning to try and spray into the intake. I do have a tow scheduled for Saturday just in case I can't figure it out or get it started.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You always check the simple stuff first. Then the basic stuff. Then you look back to any recent work you did. Then see if any fault codes exist. ( not always possible ).
Then you bite the bullet and pursue professional help. For the bike that is. :). In your case I think you did more than the average person. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, had no luck so had it towed for repair. While there learned that the fuel strip is a recall item along with fuel pump and rear wheel flange. Will no something tomorrow on the actual problem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts