BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all a Newbie here with a silly question that most likely can’t be answered. A BMW dealer will sell me a 2006 K1200R for $12,900 with about 8,500 km on the clock or I can go private and get a 2008 R1200RT-P for $11,500 with 45,000 km I haven’t seen the RT but the K looks almost brand new. I ride 90 km 5 days a week rain, hail and heat of 40C + to -5C. I liked the RT because it seems to suit the conditions and servicing seems to be a lot easier as I will DIY all I can. But I have the feeling that the Police might not be that nice riding the bikes even if it has been serviced on time.

The guy with the RT seems to have bought a couple at auction so hopefully the condition is not to bad so making decision now could change once I see it. The RT doesn’t have any log books but comes with the user manual and spare key. The K was fun to ride but I’m not sure how it will go over the distance. Which ever I buy I want to ride it until it dies. I’m selling my TDM 900 to fund it because I wasn’t happy with the quality and I’m really hoping BMW will be better. Does anyone know if the RT-P has traction control I think it has ASC with the ABS but no cruise or ESA is there anything else it won’t have over the standard RT?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
There will be more advice but I have a couple of thoughts. One, I own both an RT and a K bike. The maintenance is easier on the RT. There are plenty of web sites that will tell you how to sync the throttle bodies which is the hardest part and once you learn that your in. The police version will have a larger alternator, more wiring that you might use for extra lights and possibly some of the switch gear that was used for all the police equipment. The weather protection is superior to the K bike also. The K bike maintenance is not too bad but to check the valves or change plugs you need to remove the radiator. When you do this there is a specific procedure for refilling. It takes a vacuum source/pump to evacuate the system to 28" or so and refill from a tank with no air getting in. If air gets in it gets trapped in small passages in the head and will not come out. The bike then overheats. If you know this then you are able to choose which model. You need to find some BMW buddies and get together on purchasing a GS-911. A device that lets you read computer faults on the bike and diagnose many problems. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I have both a K1200LT and a R1150RTP.
The K bike is very smooooth.....and great on long rides or with the wife.
There's something special about the R bike......took it on a 5000 mile ride and loved every minute of it..............................
As has been said, I'd rather work on the R bike............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The GS-911 looks like a cool tool I will have to get one. The servicing does seem a bit hard on the K I can remove the swing arms and grease them up and re-oil front forks but bleeding and pressurising the cooling seems complicated. But maybe after you do it once it’s a lot easier. I would love a plain RT but they are an extra $5,000 to $10,000 more from what I can find. I imagine on a cold morning like we are slowly getting here the naked K will be a bit blowy but I guess I could get the lager screen. To Sync the throttle do you need an electric carb tuner or can a morgan carbtuner work? Is the quality really going to be worth it, the TDM I have after 4 years I garaged it every night serviced before it was due and I’m finding bolts that are striping when checking torque and plastic parts that are cracking when I tighten fairing screw and I’m not tightening hard. I also have a GSX750F and the previous owner tightened the screw so tight we almost striped it trying to take it out and it didn’t do any damage to the bike. Maybe that’s a bit off topic but I’m really after something that I can do 200,000 k’s on and it still looks the same with regular TLC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up making up my mind to go for the RT. I think the comfort won over wanting to have a cool toy for the moment. Called the guy again to make time to have a look at it and he tells me one of the police bikes are sold and the one I wanted had been dismantled by a pole and his son. All is ok except the bike. So now I want a RT but can’t find one there is a R1200ST on the net that seems ok a bit expensive what are they like compared to the RT. From the reviews I have read they seem heavy in the corners. There is the long post about the guy who had huge troubles, does anyone know if they use servo brakes or should I just wait for a RT to come along?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts