BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while but last week successfully bid on an ex-police 2011 R 1200 RT-P. I've been wanting to buy one of these for years; back in 2004 I bought a 2001 K 1200 P but sold it when my first child was born. That was a mistake.

Anyway, the bike arrived a couple days ago and I've been slowly getting it cleaned up ready for a registration inspection. Playing around with the switches and making sure everyone worked, I tried the horn... nothing. So I thought I'd better try to find it. Cut a long story short, I don't think it ever had one!

Thanks to this great forum I found a thread about swapping out the disc horn for the '05 dual note scroll horns. I was able to figure out where the standard horn should be mounted and what the wires leading to it should look like. The tab between the forks looked like it never had anything mounted there and after ages looking for it I finally found the wires -- tucked up under the clocks with cloth tape securing it to another loom and with a cap over the connection end. It didn't look like something recent, and certainly not something the cops would do to decommission a bike.

I have a pair of Stebels from an old project that have never been used to I'll wire up one to pass rego and then think about the '05 dual note set-up.

Great site here, and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
IIRC, you need the aux battery for the horn to work. If you don't have any of the cop stuff, you can rewire the leads to the main battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC, you need the aux battery for the horn to work. If you don't have any of the cop stuff, you can rewire the leads to the main battery.
Not sure, I have the aux battery. With the Stebel low note hooked up to the horn wire the horn seems to work fine. I'll disconnect the aux battery and see if it still works. I have just bolted up the high-note horn too. I'm wiring it with Scotch locks (which I hate) just to get it through the registration inspection. I will order the repair loom I've seen somewhere on the net that has the four leads for the Stebels and a plug that goes straight into the factory plug.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I had my RT-P I never needed the horn. People were throwing themselves on the side of the road when I am behind them.

Trust me they see you!!!
:wink:
I can believe it! Even my box-stock 2016 RT must look like a cop bike in the rear-view mirror, as the Southern Calif. traffic reacts differently than it did to my (now sold) 2012 GS~fun! :smile:

--Radix

·
Registered
530 Posts
A RTP uses the siren speakers as the horn. You may have a plug under the fairing for a normal horn. If you do get something better Hornig makes a nice kit but you will still need a pigtail so that you don't damage the wiring harness.
I just looked at my 2015 RTP and it does not have a standard horn.

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
17 Posts
U.S. RT-P versions do not come with a standard horn. The ''P'' Authority models utilize an electronic air horn (code 3 PSE) activated by the horn button

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys.. greetings from Australia.

I have just purchased a 2018 R1200RT ex Police bike down here.

And.. no horn.

Bought a horn from BMW, found the harness, plugged it in and horn not working.

Pulled the radio box off the back and there sits the second battery. So the police have removed all the flashing lights and such... but I cannot see an obvious wire that has been cut.

Any clues on what to do next.

Do these bikes have fuses on them?

Just checking the obvious first.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mark T

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys.. greetings from Australia.

I have just purchased a 2018 R1200RT ex Police bike down here.

And.. no horn.

Bought a horn from BMW, found the harness, plugged it in and horn not working.

Pulled the radio box off the back and there sits the second battery. So the police have removed all the flashing lights and such... but I cannot see an obvious wire that has been cut.

Any clues on what to do next.

Do these bikes have fuses on them?

Just checking the obvious first.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mark T
Did you get it working? Similar situation here but on a 2015 1200RT-P...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you get it working? Similar situation here but on a 2015 1200RT-P...
Hi mate. I had the exact same issue in mine. The problem is that the police side of the horn is used to control the trumpets and the blues n twos. When they press the horn button the signal is sent to the authority side of the bike and not the basic side. If you want it to work first check that the horn is actually fitted as mine wasn’t even there. It’s down on the steering head stalk. If it’s there and connected then you have to get it plugged into a BMW computer and they have to reprogram it so the signal from the horn button is sent to the horn and not the police trumpets. I made my own system up with a horn button attached to the controls and wired the horn through a relay. Works a treat and only cost a few quid. BMW wanted £100 just to connect it to their computer. Eh no thanks !

·
Registered
2015 RT-P
4 Posts
hi mates, I've come across the same situation here in Tassie. See this forum > What did you do to your RT today?

Previous owner won this ex RT-P at an auction in Hobart and rode it for about 18 months before selling it to me. He told me he never even used the horn, when I mentioned that the oem horn button wasn't working. Seems cop bikes don't have horns, the horn button is disabled or so. To make it road worthy, someone installed an anemic meep-meep horn (very quiet & hoarse) with an extra button beside the switch assembly. I ordered a Stebel Nautilus, managed to find just enough space to fit it snug behind the left fairing panel. Previous installer sourced the power from rear aux plug +wire, which switched the relay, managed to rev up the compressor to perhaps 60rpm - that's about it. Silence. Except for click-through noise and the fan turning. The battery read a bit over 12V when I connected the Nautilus. After pressing the horn button and compressor turning - that dropped to 7.2V in under 10 seconds. Reading up on the RT-P power supply & 2nd battery, it says somewhere that the 2nd battery usually runs cop lights & radio (also when parked up, engine off). It's designed to NOT draw power from the main battery to not leave a rider stranded, unable to start the bike. This separate circuit/battery only receives charge from the alternator once the engine revs over certain rpms.

However, with the engine running - the Stebel works fine. That's good enough for me, I'm only planning on using it to blast some inconsiderate drivers who try to cut across or push me out of a roundabout ....

I'm pondering if it's worthwhile tracing & splicing the OEM horn-button wires to activate the Stebel. Could turn more into .... let sleeping dogs lie .... kind of thing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts