BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pleased to announce that I (who have very little technical skills) managed to solder out the old switch and solder in the new one. Please see the following videos. The first one is the original video of how I managed to troubleshoot the switch. The second is a video based pictorial of the steps I took to swap the switch out after I removed it from the multifunction switch housing. Hope this helps someone save some $$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkrj6Kodo8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXZ5qLpBHQE

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good job, Jay! Saved the videos, never know when I'll need them. The only question is who is digikey? I saw most of their 800 number - missing the last digits.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just thought I'd add a quick reply to this thread as my left turn signal switch gave up the ghost on Tuesday. It didn't go intermittent or feel any different when I pressed it, it was working fine, then I came up to a turning, indicate left - nothing. When I took the assembly apart, the rubber seal over the switch had been worn through by the plastic lever on the handlebars that you press, which would then allow water into the switch.

Digi-key didn't have any in stock, but I found them at Farnell Components which is handy if you're in Europe, UK etc. Like it says in the video, dig out the bit of sealer carefully so you don't damage the white holder as this part has to be re-used. The replacement switch fits inside it.

The exact same switch is used for several other functions, turn signal cancel, cruise control set/resume, screen up/down, horn, bike computer function button etc. so if you get problems with any of these electrical systems, it's worth checking these switches.

www.farnell.com
Part number 190-8197

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is there an easy way to search Digikey's catalog? I knwo that they have a search, btu it always seems to be difficult and I cannot find what I need.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I didn't do well searching on their site - but they were very helpful when I called them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jay,
What's the trick to separating the assembly once it's off he bike. I suspect my horn button has failed but I'm having difficulty separating the front of the assembly from the back. Help appreciated. Thanks.

Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts