BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that I'm always asking for advice and almost always offer none. For that, I offer my apologies in advance.

Here I go again. I experienced many years and miles on a 2000 K1200LT. That has come to an end. Two up riding is no longer a factor. The K1200LT was traded in on a new 2019 VStrom 650. Put 312 miles on this ride on 14 months.

Frankly, it tired me out after about an hour every time I rode, so it sat mostly unused. Sold it a couple a days ago. No trouble selling...it took about 4 hours to get a good price.

I can't stop thinking about the BMW. Looking for a lighter weight ride. Sat on a 2009 K1200GT. As the LT when I first started, the leg position was causing pain in the knees. I'm convinced this would be the case if I bought this bike. I was able to modify the LT with lowered pegs and a raised saddle enough to make it a comfortable ride for several hours at a time. This option, as I understand it, is no longer available to me on the GT.

This brings me to the R1200RT.

My question is: Does any one have experience with modifying the RT with any combination a lowered pegs/raised saddle? It also seems that the RT is several hundred pounds lighter and equipped with similar comfort items. Adjustable windscreen. Cruise control....and so on. I'm considering used. Anything notable, good or bad about year models?

I'd be grateful for any comments.

Best regards,
Kimble Neel
Phoenix

·
Registered
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
16 Posts
I've never had an LT, but I've had several R1200RTs as well as an R1200R and R1200GS. The most comfortable leg position will always be the GS. Nothing else even comes close. I still ride my RT, but get sore after several hours from the leg position and have to take breaks. When I had my GS (it was a 2012 model), I could literally ride all day without needing a break. It was that comfortable.

The lack of wind protection and cruise control eventually put me back on my RT, but with the newer water cooled bikes, the GS seems more geared towards road touring and might sway me (especially with the quick adjusting wind screen and now having cruise control). The GS was also notable lighter than my RT, though if you went for a GSA for the extra range it would be more comparable.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Pretty much what danate said. I have owned a '05 K1200LT, a '06 RT, '16 RT, '12 GSA and '18 GS. Without a doubt the older GSA (pre water cooled) are the tallest of the lot. But no cruise on it. But the newer LC GSA is a close 2nd for sure with will offer almost as much wind protection as the RT with that big tank. The pre water cooled may be a good fit for you as they are taller than the LC RT's and have all the features you are looking for. Look for a '13 or close to a 2013 if going that route. It will have about as much leg room as the LT you owned. I love my LC RT but it definitely has a different leg position and if that is critical you would not be happy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The lack of wind protection and cruise control eventually put me back on my RT "

Thanks danate.

That's what I'm looking for. Two important issues for me, as well as riding position. Also, being retired...
I need to keep the total spend in mind. A later model GS is probably out of the running. I have looked closely at the later GS bikes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's a pricy option, but have you considered a K1600 GA? I went from 6 years on a 2005 LT to a 2019 K16GA in February. I found it the most comfortable K16s for me and the wife. As for leg position, I enjoy having the pegs for spirited riding, and the floorboards for more leisurely travel - and to stretch out.

As for cost, there are 2018s in the used market at 30% off original price. Dealers are also discounting 20% for a left over 2019 or 2020 - even more for a new/left over 2018.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
This brings me to the R1200RT....My question is: Does any one have experience with modifying the RT with any combination a lowered pegs/raised saddle? It also seems that the RT is several hundred pounds lighter and equipped with similar comfort items. Adjustable windscreen. Cruise control....and so on. I'm considering used. Anything notable, good or bad about year models?

Best regards,
Kimble Neel
Phoenix
Kimble, lots of folks use various solutions to lower the footpegs as required. RTs from 2014 on (and prob previously?) come w/ the option of a low/standard/high seats and these also can be adjusted into a low or high position. I'm 6'4" tall, 67 y/o, and ordered a new '16 RT w/ the high seat option and run it in the high position. Plus, I use an Alaska Leathers sheepskin buttpad which adds another 1/2". No need for footpeg lowering kits here .Within two months of ownership I did a nearly 10K mile trip in the US & Canada and the bike was fabulous for all 26 days of that trip. Bike had 45K miles now and has been flawless thusfar. I'm spoiled forever because RT is the quintessential sport tourer--equally adept at droning on the interstate to tearing thru the canyons. My side cases stay off the bike unless touring, and this accentuates the sport side by removing weight and bulk. I super value the electric screen and all of the other tech and comfort features. Lots of used 2014 or newer RT's for sale throughout the US on cycletrader.com.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that...
I've been looking at the seat options as well as some sort of peg lowering kit.
Found an outfit in Glendale, AZ. "Wild Hair Accessories" that might have the peg solution if needed.

Working on it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
This one seems to be the one most mentioned on RT forums I've read:

Looks like they are currently out of stock but I would imagine they will be back in stock at some point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got the Suburban Machinery foot pegs (to which Noel posted the link above) and like them. Easy to install and made a nice difference for me.

For reference: I'm 6' 2", ride with a standard seat in the high position, no risers or bar backs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. It's looking like a solvable problem.

Took a close look at a 2013 R1200RT today. 26,000 mile bike. In my price range. Had Ilium sport boards. Sat good.

Couldn't pull the trigger. Amazingly rough motorcycle for the age/miles. No records. At least I'm finding solutions and actually tried one of the options out...

Looks like it's going to be an RT... Just need to be patient.

Thanks to all.

Kimble

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keep in mind that if you lower the pegs, you will be lowering your ground clearance a bit as well. I occasionally scrape my feeler on more spirited rides, so the lowering kit was a no-go for me despite knowing it would be more comfortable. You can always have a custom seat made that sits higher or put something like an airhawk or bead pad on the seat to raise you up a little.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm convinced.
After a quite a few hours of reading and YouTube, The R1200RT will be my next ride. Routine service looks simple enough. Most can be accomplished on the center stand in my garage. Looks like a basic 6000/12000 mile interval. Rinse and repeat. Probably have a mechanic do the valve check/adjustment. I will probably ride about 3000 miles/year.

I would like to keep the spend within a $6000 +/- range. This leads to my next request for free advice...
Looks like my available fund will lead to a year model range from 2007-2010.

Anything to note in this model year range?

Best regards,

Kimble Neel
Phoenix

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not saying you would have problems considering the mileage you expect to ride but I would go for the latest you can afford. 2010 have vented final drives.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"2010 have vented final drives."

Did not know that...one more thing to keep in mind.

Thanks.

·
Registered
924 Posts
As noted above I would get the closest to 2013 that you can. With a $6000 budget and careful shopping you should be able to get very close to a 2013. They are great rides for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only real year to avoid is the 2007. In 2008 they beefed up the drive shaft and final drive and had less failures (my friend's 2007 had the u-joints go at 30k miles). As was said before, the 2010+ had the final drive vented and also have a fuel float instead of a strip (which often fail). 2013 is really the best year and they are getting pretty inexpensive. We got my wife's 2012 about a year ago for $6800 fully loaded including a Nav 6 with only 24k miles on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts