BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting hot in Southern California, and I'd like to have easy access to drinking water on the bike. Has anyone mounted a water bottle or cup holder to the bike? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Yuri

·
Registered
169 Posts
Camel bak insert in the tank bag. Used one for years and works like a champ.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
+1 on the Camelbak. Much better access than a drinking cup. Besides, cup holders are so Harley ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ponch said:
What if you don't have a tank bag?

Camelbak actually is a backpack setup. You can bungee it to the bike or wear it. Works both ways for me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
ka5ysy said:
Camelbak actually is a backpack setup. You can bungee it to the bike or wear it. Works both ways for me.
Amen, brother!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
SquareHead said:
I bought a RAM Ball that has a hole in it. A bolt goes through the hole and replaces one of the handlebar bolts. Then take a RAM arm and attach to the ball. To the other end of the RAM arm you can put a cup holder. All bought from RAM Mounts:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...82065077045066045049051050066085/Default.aspx

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...d/082065077045066045050048049085/Default.aspx

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...d/082065077045066045051054055085/Default.aspx
I installed the RAM-mount cupholder to an accessory bar across the top of the dash, not to the handlebar bolts. But the same idea. It works pretty well, but I've learned a few things:

1. When empty the cupholder rotates quite a bit around the screw mount due to the turbulence behind the windscreen. That has eroded the hole in the plastic that mounts the thing. I'm going to drill the plastic out and install a metal sleeve, and also put a piece of elastic on the bottom that will allow the cup holder to swivel some but not rotate.

2. The cupholder doesn't retain things inside of it very well, especially light things like empty soda cans or coffee cups. Couple that with the swinging (see #1 above) and bumps in the road and I've lost a few things by the roadside. Remedy: put the empty in your jacket pocket, or install an elastic mesh over the top of it (also a work in progress).

3. Grande Frappuccino in a Vente cup, no whip, gives enough headspace that it won't slop out. Likewise with coffee.

4. At Starbucks, use the large Frap straw to fill the sipper hole in the coffee top to reduce slopping. Also see #3 regarding headspace.

5. Anything slopping down onto the tank top makes a mess and in places that aren't easy to wipe up.

6. You will need a modular helmet with tilt-up chin to drink properly. Full-face with a fixed chin bar won't work with containers, even with straws. But they do work well with CamelBak-type with flexible hoses and pinch valves.

7. Re: #6, you're not supposed to ride with the chin bar on a modular helmet raised.

8. Cruise control is a wonderful thing when drinking from a container.

9. After you install the cupholder, people will see it and think you're nuts.

JayJay

·
Registered
66 Posts
JayJay said:
I installed the RAM-mount cupholder to an accessory bar across the top of the dash, not to the handlebar bolts. But the same idea. It works pretty well, but I've learned a few things:

1. When empty the cupholder rotates quite a bit around the screw mount due to the turbulence behind the windscreen. That has eroded the hole in the plastic that mounts the thing. I'm going to drill the plastic out and install a metal sleeve, and also put a piece of elastic on the bottom that will allow the cup holder to swivel some but not rotate.

2. The cupholder doesn't retain things inside of it very well, especially light things like empty soda cans or coffee cups. Couple that with the swinging (see #1 above) and bumps in the road and I've lost a few things by the roadside. Remedy: put the empty in your jacket pocket, or install an elastic mesh over the top of it (also a work in progress).

3. Grande Frappuccino in a Vente cup, no whip, gives enough headspace that it won't slop out. Likewise with coffee.

4. At Starbucks, use the large Frap straw to fill the sipper hole in the coffee top to reduce slopping. Also see #3 regarding headspace.

5. Anything slopping down onto the tank top makes a mess and in places that aren't easy to wipe up.

6. You will need a modular helmet with tilt-up chin to drink properly. Full-face with a fixed chin bar won't work with containers, even with straws. But they do work well with CamelBak-type with flexible hoses and pinch valves.

7. Re: #6, you're not supposed to ride with the chin bar on a modular helmet raised.

8. Cruise control is a wonderful thing when drinking from a container.

9. After you install the cupholder, people will see it and think you're nuts.

JayJay
All very good points. The only cup I use in my drink holder is a 16 oz. Tervis Tumbler. Fits well, has a secure lid. I buy a drink and pour into this cup.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
SquareHead said:
All very good points. The only cup I use in my drink holder is a 16 oz. Tervis Tumbler. Fits well, has a secure lid. I buy a drink and pour into this cup.
Tervis Tumblers in their various forms are great. Best drinking cups I have ever owned.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Blowing some dust off this thread. I am looking into the Ram mount cup holder and would like to use a thermal cup (16-20oz).

For those that have one, is there any concern regarding the integrity of the unit since the assembly is composite vs. metal? Would it hold up to a 16-20oz insulated cup or mug that was filled?

Anyone have the dimension for the bottom of the cup holder (tightest part)?

Thanks.

Scot

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cupholder? :wtf:
Get the camelback 2 litre version, not too heavy on the back, If im riding all day I easily go through the two litres and feel much fresher at the end of the day.
Its easy for your pillion to take a drink too if you have one.
:bmw:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cupholder? :wtf:
Get the camelback 2 litre version, not too heavy on the back, If im riding all day I easily go through the two litres and feel much fresher at the end of the day.
Its easy for your pillion to take a drink too if you have one.
:bmw:
I use a camelback on occasion but on outings where less will do I prefer not to deal with the backpack and cleaning the bladder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Liv2Ride question

Blowing some dust off this thread.
For those that have one, is there any concern regarding the integrity of the unit since the assembly is composite vs. metal? Would it hold up to a 16-20oz insulated cup or mug that was filled?

Anyone have the dimension for the bottom of the cup holder (tightest part)?

Thanks.

Scot
Bottom I.D. dia = 2 5/8" then there is a 1/2" shoulder/step where it's dia increases to 3 1/4".

The biggest issue I've had with mine is that its very tippy with a full bottle of water in there. I added some baling wire from bottom of cup holder to the ram mount arm to greatly reduce the amount of pivoting motion.
IMHO, if the depth of this cup holder from it's pivot point was increased by 1", then this would be a much more functional product.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts