BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've been offered a very reasonable deal to part exchange my 2015 R1200 RT LE for a 2019 K1600 GT SE. One the reasons I'm thinking of doing so is that the K1600 has reverse gear which I would hope might give me more confidence shifting the bike around when trying to get in and out of my garage.

Can anyone comment on whether reverse gear is as useful as I think it might be?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don’t think I would base the decision on a bike having a reverse gear. Both are great bikes, but best to try and ride the K bike. My K1600 doesn’t have a reverse gear, and don’t think I really need one. Just think there are so many other factors to consider before buying a new bike other than whether is has a reverse gear or not.
But, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The two bikes are different. Both are great bikes. Having owned a K16GTL and now a RT the reverse on the K would be nice as it is 150+ pounds heavier but you should ride one. The motor on the K is sooooo nice. The motor best the RT motor. I traded the K for the RT because of the weight especially at slow speed maneuvers. I do still miss the big K though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My '06 RT was lowered by 25mm (Tractive Suspension) and had the low factory seat. With my short legs, I was reasonably confident on it, but backing up while on the bike was a challenge, even on flat ground.

I now have a '16 GTL with the standard (low) seat and have MUCH better ground reach. I'm virtually flat footed with both feet and have far fewer problems maneuvering the GTL around.

It makes the GTL a significant improvement over the RT - for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts