BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

¿Was this post usefull?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Your rewind offer sounds like a good solution. I'm sure the shop that does that will inspect the old unit and find the problem, thus helping them do a good job. Glad you could cancel the mail order unit. These things have to be exactly right to work well and produce the original power output. wish the best, beech
Wasn't most of the pictures I have seen in the difference is the windings themselves and the oil holes. The original windings looked like a kid did them. I am from back in the day where starters and alternators were rebuilt and guys did amazing work. I would trust a guy who rewinds as much as a factory I think. They will make sure the windings are correct and the materials are first rate.

I wish th OP luck on this and hope it turns out well. I also appreciate him sharing this with us so we all may learn.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LC
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here in Mexico we have some real artists doing things such as rewinding electric motors and alternators. I also think the result will probably be good. In fact, I found a Rumanian service that rewinds the stator, but you have to send it over and they take a few days also. Interesting. Will of course keep you posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LC
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here are some pictures of the repair...

2021-02 R1200RT - Reparación - Estator

Crazy place to put the stator. On the main shaft of the gearbox and engine. Like ti was something that could not break down any more than a gear inside a gearbox.

Should be back together next week.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
91 Posts
... Crazy place to put the stator. ...
Wow, couldn't agree more with that statement! New to BMW myself and having only read of the work involved your pictures put it into perspective!

(Love that picture of evolution - monkeys to motorcycles! :LOL: )

Good luck!

Larry

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If by chance I ever buy another twin wethead, it will be with an extended warranty. Good grief, that is a lot of work. Looks like a great shop.

Reactions: nh1200c

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LC
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here is the rebuilt stator. ¿What do you think of the craftsmanship? (I've no idea.) I'm glad it's ready. They are starting the rebuild tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
No wires can rub on anything when it goes back in. Looks really good. I've seen some aftermarket ones from Asia and as one member posted, they look like a kid did them. People will be mailing their stators to you to have rebuilt!

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT LC
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've sent your comments to the repair shop.

Hope they can put everything back as it was... Will keep you posted. Interesting, isn't it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts