BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to all of this but just purchased a 2004 R1150RTP and feel like I am sliding toward the gas tank. I am sure this has been well posted but can anyone tell me of a quick simple fix that even a non-mechanical type can perform to remedy it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The problem is a combination of seat shape and how slippery the covering is. My '04 RTP is the same, and the only solution is a change in design or seat texture, so maybe an aftermarket cover would help.

I figure it gives me exercise, having to shift around on a long ride. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a well noted problem with the R1100RT and R1150RTs.

Take both seats off the bike. Remove the four Allen bolts that hold the front seat mount to the frame tubes. Insert some packing/spacing material, (about a quarter or half an inch thick), but only under the front of the mount. I used stacked washers to work out the ideal thickness, then cut and drilled some plastic strip to the same thickness. No packing is required under the rear of the mount. Refit the seat mount onto the frame. You may need longer bolts for the front, depending on how much packing you have inserted. There used to be a kit, called 'Seat Jacks' available. These were a pair of tapered plastic wedges, which were fitted under the seat mount, with the thick end to the front, tapering to the thin end at the rear.

Also, it is possible to cut down the rear rubber 'bobbins' to lower the back of the seat, but removing too much material can make fitting the passenger seat difficult.

The aim is to level out the seat, by either raising the front or lowering the rear, or a combination of both.

You'll be grateful when you do your first emergency stop!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes, I've noticed the same thing on my new to me '02 R1150RTP. You didn't say what position you have the seat in, I have mine in the lowest position.

A spacer under the seat mount sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I had the same condition on my R1200RT. My solution was to ask my seat builder to make me more of a "pocket toward the rear of my seat area.

Worked great.

But, (no pun intended) I wanted even more, so I stared at the seat mount on the R1200... which may be different from the 1150.. until it came to me..

The 1200 positions the front of the seat onto a bar with two rubber knobs... actually called Bump Stops, I believe. I found that Could put a 1/4 inch hard wood dowel under the mount to keep the Bump stop Rod form seating all the way down.

The resultant elevation of the Bump Stop raised the front of the seat just enough. I also make sure the rear of the seat is in the Low setting notch. This may take a little "deformation" of the seat pan the first time or two but it gets easier. The result is the rear of the seat is in the Low position and the Front is in the Half way spot between High and Low.

Take a close look at your entire seat positioning mechanism. On the 1200, there are Bump stops for the rear of the seat too. You can just pull them off and you will lower the rear by another ... what? 1/8th of an inch? Enough to actually feel.

Works for me... your actual mileage may vary...

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I cut spacers out of a sheet of 1/4 " aluminum and inserted them under the front riser.
I tried the seat then added another until I got the right height.
After having CeeBailey redo my seat, they knew about and had adjusted the seat for this problem so I removed the spacers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts