BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two connectors under the seat of my new to me 1995 R1100GSA (...and that's ABS, though it will be an adventure for us! Pictures & intro coming soon.)

I've been able to gather that the most rearward one with 4 conductors may be something for the ABS or other diagnosis and I've not poked at it. The one directly behind the fuse box is a 3 conductor and is covered with a blue cap and snapped into a holder. It looks similar to what a heated seat would plug into and it does carry 12v on the middle conductor when ignition is live.

Unfortunately when Googling if I use "plug or plugs" I get spark plug info and connector or connectors don't do much better, not to mention pics and such seem to be much later GS models.

Can anyone definitively say what these are for so I know? I'm going to order the Clymers this week, but I just got the bike Saturday morning. I'm thinking that if this isn't some sort of diagnostic, etc. it might be a good place to tap a relay into for an accessory power distribution since right now I have my Baehr in a tank bag and I'm going to make it bike resident (I like the GPS on the battery since I'm not the fastest destination putter-inner.)

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
On my '97 the connector directly behind the fuse box with 3 conductors and covered with a blue cap is the Motronic/ABS diagnostic port. You can read and reset codes see pages 71-73 http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual/Oilhead_Maintenance_2-25-02.pdf

The GS911 tool will plug into this port with an adapter but there's not a lot to monitor or change.

I don't have another connector that I can see, but I didn't pull the metal seat mounting plate. A couple of thoughts, 1> if the canister and related plumbing has been removed, this plug may have been for the purge valve, 2> is the rear accessory plug installed and connected? If not may be this is for it. Two wires. 3> there is talk on the web of a "cat code plug". I've never found one, maybe this is the connector.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Sounds like I had misconstrued which was the diag plug so now I know for sure which one that is.

I tried to take a pic of the other one now that it is light outside. It is circled in red in the pic below. I was also incorrect in thinking it was a 4 conductor as it appears to actually be a 3 conductor. It's rubberized around the connector too. I think I'll take off the rear seat cover to see if some of the wires are exposed though so I can find a color code to track down.

This does not have a second aux power port installed though. It does have a charcoal canister in place on this side of the bike that appears to only have three vacuum/fuel lines going in/out of it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, here is a better pic of the potentially unknown one, though at this point it's just curiosity:

You can see that one is already hooked up to that I assume is the purge valve. The other seems to be a similar type of connection.

But, after taking this picture I did a little digging and it seems that it could possibly be a hookup for a "CO Potentiometer" though I've no idea if it is missing, or not installed (though I'm getting ready to go down that rabbit hole, also just our of curiosity as the bike runs fine.)

At least it appears the mystery could possibly be solved as I now know which one is actually the diag plug, and that the other appears to be emissions related.

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just in case anyone is in the same boat (wondering what the plugs are and if they can get power from them) and comes upon this somewhere in the future... I ended up putting my relay trigger on the heated grip circuit (Fuse 7) as it appeared to behave the way I wanted. Relay is right off the battery via fused lead and triggers two legs... one for my Baehr, and one for the iPhone charger in my tank bag (not connected yet). The Zumo is right off the battery so I can do my routes, etc. without the ignition on and so I don't have to resume.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts