BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 183k miles my engine gave up the ghost. It almost got me back from CCR but decided that Fallon, Nevada was as far as it would go. I rented a truck and hauled it back to San Jose BMW yesterday.

Does anyone know of a low mileage salvage engine (preferably the 116 hp version) for sale? My dealer thinks that the 116 hp engine will work on 2000 LT. Does anyone have a contrary opinion or is this a known fact.

Cheers!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've seen salvage engines on Ebay listed under K1200LT.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Might try here www.ridesafely.com They have actions around the country of wrecked and stolen bikes. Many times the engine and trans are all that are really salvagable. Yes I have seen a LT in their listings a few times.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunno what is wrong

We don't yet know what happened but the symptom is thick blue smoke belching from the exhaust and only three cylinders are running. Too much smoke to just be a valve. Chris at SJBMW thinks it's a cracked piston or disintegrated rings with likely damage to the block. He has only ever seen this kind of damage to a K12 engine once before. It's pretty rare butt then, it's my bike and Murphy is alive and well.

If I'm looking at a new block and new pistons etc., we're talking enough bucks to get a whole engine from eBay or a recycler.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
You finally Baconized an Engine. :eek: Sorry to hear that Bob, looks like your iron Butt outlasted the LT. I'll ask around A&S to see if they have any leads today.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
ltcommuter said:
We don't yet know what happened but the symptom is thick blue smoke belching from the exhaust and only three cylinders are running.
Gee, I heard of that happening *somewhere* once before.

Congrats on your BBG Gold 3000, at least yours had the good manners to break after the ride. You would think that I would have trained my bike better.;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
ltcommuter said:
After 183k miles my engine gave up the ghost. It almost got me back from CCR but decided that Fallon, Nevada was as far as it would go. I rented a truck and hauled it back to San Jose BMW yesterday.

Does anyone know of a low mileage salvage engine (preferably the 116 hp version) for sale? My dealer thinks that the 116 hp engine will work on 2000 LT. Does anyone have a contrary opinion or is this a known fact.

Cheers!
Bob,
Deep 6 auctions has one for an 01, he usually has more.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-K1200LT-Complete-Engine-26K-Miles-Great-Cond_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35618QQihZ019QQitemZ7900406201QQtcZphoto

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
black1200lt said:
Gee, I heard of that happening *somewhere* once before.
Yes, Scott at Sierra BMW sends his regards... :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ustasub said:
Thanks, I saw that one butt thought he wanted too much for such an old engine. They've sold for around $1500 on eBay.

I also have inquires out with most of the on-line recyclers today. I also need to call a bunch of them that are not on-line. Still hoping for a 2005!

Cheers!

·
Old Dawg
3,282 Posts
Well that certanly means at least for a short time you were in a place you didn't want to be I guess ;)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
scottydawg said:
Well that certanly means at least for a short time you were in a place you didn't want to be I guess ;)
I thought of you as I was standing on the side of the road wondering what to do next...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
condolences, bob ... but at least you got back safe and sound. i'll bet you've got some stories to tell for our next lunch get together.

were you riding with rasters?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
What did you do to that nice bike? I remember riding your bike at Breckenridge and it seemed just fine to me.:) Of course you only had a measly 100k on it then.:D

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would avoid Deep 6 auctions after recently talking to them about a lower fairing. He had it listed as in good condition with minor scratches listed for $299 (they are $313 new). I emailed him to ask about the price and he responded with oops, sorry how about $150. When I zoomed in on the photo, I could tell at least one, probably two tabs were broken. I emailed back to get clarification and he stopped answering.
Just be warned.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I dunno...
I bought a piece from Deep 6 and it came quickly and it was what he said it was. But he is a boneyard man, 'nuff said. Before buying a motor from him, I'd have to talk to him on the phone.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Sorry to hear abour that Bob; that just plain Sucks!! I'm glad nothing worse happened other than being stuck on the road. Sometimes when those engines let go they like dumping their oil all over the road so the back tire can have fun rolling through it.

Doesn't Chris still have a couple of new LTs sitting on the floor?? :)

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
ltcommuter said:

Cheers!
Try www.beemerboneyard.com -- they support the site

·
Registered
233 Posts
there's one from an 05 on E bay for buy it now $644.00

1 - 20 of 49 Posts