BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
All but the late 08 & 09 bikes had those as 5mm allen. For some reason they went with torx (T-25 or maybe T-30) on the last two years of production. They should not be that tight as the o-ring does all the sealing once you snug them up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John! Mine is a '09 model and apparently has the Torx screws. I was confused by the maintenance video I purchased which suggested these were 5mm Allen screws. I'm sure the video predates the '08 model and I wasn't aware of the change. The Torx drivers I have don't seem to fit well and I didn't want to risk stripping the head.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
876 Posts
The Torx system has a few obscure sizes within the range. E.G. there is a T27 which (of course) sits between the T25 and T30, but many sets of the keys don't contain that size. It may well be your answer the loose fit. If you can get them out it may be easier to replace with M6 screws (5 mm Allen key).

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Be very careful to not apply more force than specified. Many strip them out and as was said, the o-ring keeps it from leaking. Too tight and it leaks and the screw strips.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I've NEVER replaced them w/o a torque wrench at 8 or 9 NM. Taint worth the risk of striping them. No oil, no runny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.