BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with small parts technician about the quick disconnects they sell and he says that the buna-n o-ring may swell from gasoline. Wondering if anyone have this problem with theirs yet?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
Just got off the phone with small parts technician about the quick disconnects they sell and he says that the buna-n o-ring may swell from gasoline. Wondering if anyone have this problem with theirs yet?
Baloney. Buna N (nitrile) is the industry standard for fuels - he doesn't know what he is talking about... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
O-ring material

NOGILLS2 said:
Buna-N or Nitrile works well for 100% gasoline, problem arrises when ethanol is blended with gasoline like here in the Mid-West. Ethanol and Buna-N are not compatable. Would suggest using Viton seals if you are going to be in an area that uses blended fuels. Viton is compatable with Gasoline and Ethanol and should be available.

NOTE: I am not sure if a 10% blend would have any adverse effects but we are now seeing 25% Ethanol at some stations for there "Premium" grade.

Roy

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, On their website it says it is compatible with gasoline. The tech said he had one complaint from a BMW owner and after a few hours the o-rings shrank back to shape and was able to be reconnected.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
bigbear said:
Buna-N or Nitrile works well for 100% gasoline, problem arrises when ethanol is blended with gasoline like here in the Mid-West. Ethanol and Buna-N are not compatable. Would suggest using Viton seals if you are going to be in an area that uses blended fuels. Viton is compatable with Gasoline and Ethanol and should be available.

NOTE: I am not sure if a 10% blend would have any adverse effects but we are now seeing 25% Ethanol at some stations for there "Premium" grade.

Roy
I dunno Roy, I'll have to disagree with you... ;)

Not all grades of Viton are compatible with gasoline and ethanol. It is produced in seven different grades, and unless you know the specific polymer used you could be seeing those O rings degrade VERY fast. Of the three common grades (that are typically used for mass produced items like O rings) only two are acceptable. Of those two one is always preferred and has superior resistance to gas and ethanol, mbte (RIP), etc.

Generallly speaking, Viton is specified instead of Buna N for two reasons: in high frequency use it tends to wear longer, and in high heat applications it is far superior. It also costs about 4 times as much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
quick disconnects

www.racerpartswholesale.com

JiffyTite quick disconnects in stock. Several BMW bike people bought and are using these for the fuel line.

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale. RPW operates out of a 10K sq ft warehouse in Indianapolis and ships most orders same day.

RPW recently bought myoilshop.com and is supplying Red Line Oil (and other motorcycle stuff) to motorcycle owners all over the country. Red Line Oil has recently added a complete line of motorcycle specific products--and RPW stocks the complete Red Line Oil line.

(I also have one of Ron's seats on my LT and it works great.)

Tom Volk

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Ummmm....

RonKMiller said:
If you have refineries mixing 25% ethanol in their fuel they will be buying lots of new cars for their customers. E-85 is 15% and is the maximum that fuel tanks, lines and engines can currently handle - it requires special plating inside the tanks, fuel lines, injector rails, etc... Ethanol is highly corrosive.
E-85 is 85% ethanol.

Jer

·
Registered
345 Posts
Brass Quick disconnects

I just purchased a pair of Brass Double shut off disconnects, part number QCBD-05 from Small Parts, Inc. I would sure like a direct answer yes or no are these ok to use in the midwest where there is ethanol used in our gasoline? IS THERE A PROBLEM?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Jerrym said:
I just purchased a pair of Brass Double shut off disconnects, part number QCBD-05 from Small Parts, Inc. I would sure like a direct answer yes or no are these ok to use in the midwest where there is ethanol used in our gasoline? IS THERE A PROBLEM?
The QDs are OK to use. I think the issue brought up is with which O-rings to use...

·
Registered
191 Posts
What Jiffytites do I need for an LT?

tvolk said:

JiffyTite quick disconnects in stock. Several BMW bike people bought and are using these for the fuel line.

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale. RPW operates out of a 10K sq ft warehouse in Indianapolis and ships most orders same day.

RPW recently bought myoilshop.com and is supplying Red Line Oil (and other motorcycle stuff) to motorcycle owners all over the country. Red Line Oil has recently added a complete line of motorcycle specific products--and RPW stocks the complete Red Line Oil line.

(I also have one of Ron's seats on my LT and it works great.)

Tom Volk
Tom,

What JiffyTites do I need to order to do my LT QDs? Do you have a set made up?

Bruce Buchner

·
Registered
120 Posts
JiffyTite for LT

There are several different styles of fittings available. You will probably want the barbed end fitting--easiest to install.

The best thing to do is to contact either Jack or Mike at RPW and they will quickly determine what you need that will do what you want!

email or phone on the 800 line.

If it ends up that everybody orders the same numbers for the LT--we will post the part numbers to make it easier and faster for all.

Thanks. Also--please check out the other motorcycle parts we are adding in the new motorcycle section. I would appreciate any product suggestions you might have for us to add to our lineup!

Tom Volk

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, The deed is done! The connectors arrived this past weekend while we were out of town. So I finally had time today to change them out. Yesterday was yard work day. So, anyhow, It wasn't too bad of a job, after removing tupperware from right side, the connectors are in your face. I found the lower hose from the injectors was a little bit of a challenge, but not completly, after disconnecting some wires in the area, it gave me more room to work. Total time to change out the connectors was about two hours with a number of breaks, to get water and such. altogether not a bad job, and the new connectors are real cool, I really like the design, I hope they hold up as well as they look.

I ordered and used the connectors from "Small Parts.com" came up to $46.00 plus shipping for both couplers!! not bad comparing to some of the others available.

Miss E and I went out for a ride and diner, everything went well. If you have any questions I will be glad to answer, if I can!

ps. If you have fuel in the tank have a can near when you open the bottom hose from the tank, cause the fuel will flow like a river from that hose, the others just dribbled.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What were the part numbers for those you ordered at small parts?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Part numbers are: QCBD-05

These have double shut offs and are 5/16 hose connectors.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quick disconnect

Jiffy Tite quick disconnects are all metal. (I have been asked by several people on the forum).

Barb fittings available (very economical) for easy install and no leaks.

In stock, same day shipping.

Thanks
Tom Volk

(Full disclosure: I own RPW!)

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
I shot an e-mail off after reading above post and this is the response:

Lee,

The part numbers you will need are JIF-21505 and JIF-22505, these are a socket and plug with a 5/16 barbed end. If you are dealing with two hoses you will need two of each part number. The fittings come standard with Viton seals. The fittings are not really serviceable and there is no need to replace the seals. We have sold hundreds of these fittings without failure. I don't have band style clamps small enough for this hose. The screw type clamp part number is IDL-5203.

Please give me a call to place the order or you can go online at http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/jiftite1.htm to order.

Thank you for your interest in the Jiffy-tite product and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jack Borsos
General Manager
Racer Parts Wholesale
317-639-0725
[email protected]

I ordered them today.

I want to have all these little fixes and electric stuff all ready to just unbutton the Tupperware once and be done with these items.

Anyway will post some pics when they arrive, and seems like a pretty cool company to deal with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts