BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a failure of the quick disconnect on the fuel line today. I plan on getting the metal ones and based on the various threads there are a number of choices. Please update me on the best option.

Also, since I need my bike for work tomorrow and my dealer is closed and I have no alternative for a replacement quick disconnect, does anybody know if there is a problem with using a brass fitting without shutoff to connect the two hoses until a quick disconnect can be obtained?

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
I too am very interested in sources for these, and more experienced opinions.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
QDs are a convenience item. Makes it easier to remove the tank and work on things.

If need be - you can join the two ends with a brass line, fuel rated plastic tube or whatever. Just be careful the spill. You've the head pressure of the tank to tank into account. You can get a LOT of fuel spilled real fast.

As a 'get-by', you may well be able to temporarily slip an appropriately sized in line fuel filter in place of the two halves of a failed QD. Something that'll take the in tank pump pressure. Point the filter the right way!

And yes - I think you'll want to use hose clamps whether it's a long term repair with metal QDs or a 'quckie' get-by fix to get ya to the barn.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
To confirm, my bike didn't come with QDs.
Bob, 0h 0h LT

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quick disconnects

www.racerpartswholesale.com

Try JiffyTite quick disconnect fittings. Several BMW people have used these for the fuel line.

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale. We have the parts you need in stock and will ship the same day you order.

Tom Volk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tvolk said:
www.racerpartswholesale.com

Try JiffyTite quick disconnect fittings. Several BMW people have used these for the fuel line.

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale. We have the parts you need in stock and will ship the same day you order.

Tom Volk

What JiffyTite quick disconnect fitting part numbers would be needed for the K12?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quick disconnect

There are several styles of JiffyTite connectors that will work. Best bet is to call RPW (ask for Mike or Jack--I gave them your info).

They can talk to you and determine what you need to do exactly what you want.

Thanks

Call 1-800-397-7815

Tom

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Dual Shut Off Valves?

Tom, do both halves of the Jiffy QD's have shut off's? Or is it just one side that has a shut off?

Tks,

John

·
Registered
120 Posts
JiffyTite

Both 'sides' are , in effect, shut off valves. When you disconnect the fitting (un-plug it from itself)---there is no leakage from either end. That is what makes these type of fittings so neat and functional!

Note:

Maximum PSI rating on these fittings is 200 PSI. This means that they are NOT to be used for brake lines or clutch lines.

Tom

·
Registered
257 Posts
quick disconnects

went to the bone yard bought 2 complete disconnects. $10.00 ea. went to lowes bought a 10 pk of #6 o-rings. $1.67. went to a flea market bought 4 new ss worm drive hose clamps $1.00. carry them with me at all times. less than $23.00 invested. who said BMW riders are cheep.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Beware of sparks from the cooling fan

Mine just broke, out on the road yesterday...Thank God the bike or myself did not catch fire. However it did stain alot of parts and took over 3 hours to pick the bike up by trailer... but it could have burned to the ground.
I will be getting in touch......Thanks for the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts