BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the front rotors with EBC rotors. I'm not sure if the hardware was installed correctly by the previous owner. On the ABS Ring Side of the rotor there are no washers or stop discs which I think is what bikebandit calls it. On the other side of the rotor which is the right side as you are riding the bike there were some flat disks installed between the rotor and the wheel and I don't believe this is correct. I believe the discs go between the ABS ring and the left disc only.

Please advise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres a pic of the thin flat washers found on only right side of the bike between rotor and rim.

I believe it goes between the disc and the ABS ring on the left side and this may be why the brake shakes when applied . Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have an 01 so those washers are not included. The 01- have a cast iron sensor wheel and I believe the 02+ use a stamped steel sensor ring. Those washers not included on mine may be there to make up the difference in thickness of the 2 different parts so the sensor ring and rotor are positioned properly if the wheel is standard throughout production which I don't know. On mine, the ring is placed under the rotor not on top so I think that picture would be incorrect for my setup.

See all that loctite on those washers? that is what I had in another place and it shook like hell on braking. All that needs to be cleaned off and be very carefull in applying any loctite to those screws. All I did was a disassembly and clean and reassembly and all the shakes went away.

Attachments

Reactions: Painterman

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Ur setup looks different.... even your abs ring looks different
As I said, the 01 has a cast iron sensor wheel and the 02+ uses a stamped steel one or at least the ones I have seen on ebay are stamped steel so yes, they are different and yours apparently uses those additional washers where mine does not. I had a similar build up of loctite but it was in a different place on the roll pins but none the less, causing the brakes to judder which is now gone after a good cleaning and reassembly.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay well I took a chance and assembled the rotors according to the diagram where on the left side I put the ABS ring on the wheel and a thin washer on top of it and then the rotor then the spring washer and the locating thing whatever that's called and then the bolt. The right side of the engine was just the rotor bolted to the wheel with a spring washer and locating seeing and then the bolt.

High torque to the bolts down to specs and then I install the wheel and talked all those bolts down and the brakes are smooth with no judder at all.

The problem is there is a whirring noise almost like a little card in the spokes of a bicycle. I'm guessing it's maybe the brake pads and the holes in the rotors but I'm not sure. It's fairly loud but the brakes to work well. The rear brakes are kind of sensitive. Is there a way to adjust the servo assist?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Okay well I took a chance and assembled the rotors according to the diagram where on the left side I put the ABS ring on the wheel and a thin washer on top of it and then the rotor then the spring washer and the locating thing whatever that's called and then the bolt. The right side of the engine was just the rotor bolted to the wheel with a spring washer and locating seeing and then the bolt.

High torque to the bolts down to specs and then I install the wheel and talked all those bolts down and the brakes are smooth with no judder at all.

The problem is there is a whirring noise almost like a little card in the spokes of a bicycle. I'm guessing it's maybe the brake pads and the holes in the rotors but I'm not sure. It's fairly loud but the brakes to work well. The rear brakes are kind of sensitive. Is there a way to adjust the servo assist?
No way I know of to adjust the assist level. Make sure that whirring noise isn't the ABS sensor clearance to the sensor ring. My book is already packed for a trip or I would look up the clearance. I know some models of the servo assist have linked front and rear brakes when the front is applied. Not sure if that applies to some or all the I-ABS LT's or not at all. Maybe someone else can share a pic of the proper assembly of the I-ABS front sensor and rotor as a double check for what you did. I would suspect that if it was assembled wrong, the clearance would be way off or the ring would be impacting the sensor.

EDIT: Also look to see if the rotor is centered between the caliper and not off to one side or the other based on the assembly of the parts.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
2002 and up with the "wizzy" brakes are linked. Front also gives rear and rear also gives front. Some say that light pressure on the rear gives only rear but my experience with two different bikes is different.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The whirring noise ONLY occurs when I apoly the brakes, either front or rear. I would think that if it was an ABS sensor clearance issue that it would happen all the time since the sensor doesn't move.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The whirring noise ONLY occurs when I apoly the brakes, either front or rear. I would think that if it was an ABS sensor clearance issue that it would happen all the time since the sensor doesn't move.
Unless the wheel bearings are flexing and allowing the wheel to move instead of the wave washers compressing while the caliper pistons center themselves. Just a thought.

Don't know the answer for rear activating the front in linked brakes. Front would definitely activate the rear though. Something else I can learn about the I-ABS system of which I don't have to meddle with.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless the wheel bearings are flexing and allowing the wheel to move instead of the wave washers compressing while the caliper pistons center themselves. Just a thought.

Don't know the answer for rear activating the front in linked brakes. Front would definitely activate the rear though. Something else I can learn about the I-ABS system of which I don't have to meddle with.
With linked brakes, applying the rear also activates the front, I believe. In any event, the whirring sound is likely the pads and the rotors. Maybe it will take some time to bed in.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
With linked brakes, applying the rear also activates the front, I believe. In any event, the whirring sound is likely the pads and the rotors. Maybe it will take some time to bed in.
As long as they don't shake when you apply them, you are already ahead of where you were :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts