BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the weather, while still cold, is dry enough for me to shake my grouchiness and go work a little in the garage. Pulled the windscreen in anticipation of having it tinted by one of the local tint gurus. Pulled the upper cowling in anticipation of mounting a few brackets and goodies on the parcel shelf. Got into the rear of the instrument cluster, since there was only ONE panel light illuminating the whole deal.

What I got for my effort are three questions:

1: When I pulled the windscreen, I saw that there were 2 D-shaped rubber spacers at the bottom bolts of the brackets. Are these the 'plastic washers' that everyone says to be mindful of when removing the windscreen and are there supposed to be 4 of them?

2: The small maplight is powered with a purple 'hot' so it is always live. However, the wires are pretty thin. I'm not looking to power anything with a major draw (Perhaps a GPS, or a radar detector, or a phone charger) but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea just how many amps those dinky little wires are good for? Don't want a melt-down.

3: Back to the bulbs. They're pretty tiny, and of course, not marked. Are these 2721 bulbs (otherwise known as 74) and has anyone replaced them with some compatible 180* led bulbs?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
What I got for my effort are three questions:
Dragonwing said:
1: When I pulled the windscreen, I saw that there were 2 D-shaped rubber spacers at the bottom bolts of the brackets. Are these the 'plastic washers' that everyone says to be mindful of when removing the windscreen and are there supposed to be 4 of them?
Yep, there should be four of those little cushion thingies. OEMs seem to go away pretty quick, at least they did on ole Toad. So, I replaced 'em with a cut-to-shape piece of stickyback velcro. Holding up pretty good after 10+ years.
Dragonwing said:
2: The small maplight is powered with a purple 'hot' so it is always live. However, the wires are pretty thin. I'm not looking to power anything with a major draw (Perhaps a GPS, or a radar detector, or a phone charger) but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea just how many amps those dinky little wires are good for? Don't want a melt-down.
Don't know what the amp reading is for those wires, butt I've piggy-backed a SmarTire monitor unit with 'em for several years. A 4A/32V fuse protects similar size wiring at the instrument cluster.
Dragonwing said:
3: Back to the bulbs. They're pretty tiny, and of course, not marked. Are these 2721 bulbs (otherwise known as 74) and has anyone replaced them with some compatible 180* led bulbs?
Thanks in advance!
I just replaced the 5 backlighting bulbs in the cluster with red LED bulbs - can't find the package, but I do remember that it had 74 nomenclature on the bag. I didn't get to see 'em for very long after they were installed (I did a major *blowed up real good* situation elsewhere on ole Toad), butt what I did see, I like. Especially in the dark of the garage!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen: As always, thank you for your thoughtful replies. I now have direction.

(Man, I love this place!!)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
And I have always powered my GPS off the map light and on my '99 powered both GPS and sat radio for 100k

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What used to be my map light wire now powers my GPS, Valentine radar detector and small amplifier for the detector,
had the same setup on my previous LT,
no issues for a hundred thousand miles.

On the windshield I found some plastic hose that just fit inside the holes in the shield,
I then cut pieces of the hose just a little longer than the thickness of the shield,
when the screws are tightened the hose swells just a little and "cushions" the shield and screws.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Buff. I, too, plan on powering only a GPS, a radar detector, and maybe a phone charger, so I'm thinking a couple of amps, maximum. Insofar as concerns the windscreen, I noticed that the holes had the beginnings of some stress cracks.....and I wondered to myself why BMW didn't feel it necessary to sleeve the holes. I was contemplating adding bushings at the time of re-installation. Looks like the concept is a winner.

Great minds run in the same channels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts