BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the DDM HID low-beam light kit for a 2002 K-LT. The installation instructions included with the kit refer to an install for an automobile. I've been searching this site, and others on the Net, to piece together a plan for installation. What escapes me, is a clear understanding of the connection "back to the battery" that some instructions indicated. I can't find any clear information on how that is done.

It appears that when all other connections are made, there remains two flat-connection wires that are about 9 inches long. It would seem to me that they are designed to be plugged into the original stock connector for the low beam bulb. I haven't seen anything that clearly states that. I'm wondering if that is true, is there a particular polarity or other order that must be maintained when connecting them? OR am I supposed to obtain some other wiring harness to re-wire the connection back to the battery?

If someone can help answer the above questions, I think I'll be well on my way to completing the HID conversion.

Thanks for any info. you can offer....

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
There was once a great thread with pictures and step-by-step instructions. I saw the thread a few months ago and the pictures were gone. Still good instructions. I searched every way I know how, but was unable to locate it. Maybe someone will come by with something to help.

In the meantime a search on the LT section for headlight install will get you some threads to read.

It's been nearly 3 years since I installed a Fashtek HID kit on my 2000 model, so I've forgotten everything I did. It wasn't difficult. Getting ready to do a DDM on my 2005 in the next couple weeks. Both are supposed to be plug and play. You will have to make a hole in the headlight cover to let the wires pass through. Should be a built-in grommet. Make the hole that size.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Thinking back about 5-6 years, it seems that the - + wires go directly to the battery, but there is a relay that activates the light. That is the wire or plug that should interface with the existing connection in the headlight asembly.

There is a brown wire ( maybe from the relay) that is the ground and it seems to cause a lot of problems in most K1200LTs. Now would be a good time to clean it up and make sure it is seated tightly and free of rust.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My DDM kit arrives tomorrow, so I'll post any notes and pics I can come up with.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The two long pigtails. Black and red. Connect to the battery..

One plug will connect to the existing headlight wiring.. This is the trigger wire..

The other connects to the new hid setup, Ballast, ignitor and lamp..... The ones with the thicker wires..

You might have an extra set of connections for a second ballast because they just send the car kit for all...

Clear as mud ?

Good luck...

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clear as mud is right!

BUT, I think you know what you are talking about. That a second ballast comes with the kit has definitely confused me. The instructions are confusing because they are designed for a car. I'm not "clear" on what I really need to hook this thing up!

The kit I received is at the following link
http://pirateslair.net/HID.htm

What do I need to discard?

Also, how did you connect back to the battery? Those "pigtails" are only about 8 inches long.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,109 Posts
Looking at the picture - every thing on the "bulb" side of the grommet go inside the plastic cover you remove to get to the stock bulb. The pig tails plug into the stock bulb socket. You need to drill a hole on that plastic cover to fit the grommet. On the outside of the grommet - the lead from the HID bulb plugs into the oval plug on the balast. No other connections are required. One of those square things is the balast and one is the igniter. So do not discard anything except the old bulb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! Your various inputs have help me get a better picture of how tro do thiss conversion.

Thanks in advance for any further responses.

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Just installed DDM Tuning Low Beam and High Beam
on my K1200LT and my brothers K1200RS

On the K1200LT I replaced an older Hella Unit - 4300K

On the K1200LT
Low Beam
DDM Motorcycle HID Kit, 55W, H7, 5000K
Bulb Color: 5000K
Bulb Type: H7
Wattage: 55W (+$7.50)
DDMMoto55W.H7.5000K $30.00

High Beam
DDM Motorcycle HID Kit, 35W, H3, 5000K
Bulb Type: H3
Wattage: 35W
Bulb Color: 5000K
DDMMoto35W.H3.5000K $22.50

The new digital ballasts and wiring set up do not require battery connections

The former Hella unit was wired to the battery along with a safety relay

Installing the low beam is fairly straight forward the high beam however requires a bit more changes to the wiring
inside the housing - I was going to photo document but just got into the productive mode and knocked it out.

Be careful not to break any of the ceramic housing parts on the back of the housing - ask me how I know!!

There was a good write up on another site - I'll see if I can locate . . .

Good luck . . . :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jzeiler has it right nothing needs to go back to the battery. The 2 loose leads plug into the existing headlight plug, everything else plugs into itself! here are some pics from an install on a GT, the headlight bucket and wiring install are identical to the LT. (my lady rides a GT,
I've done the install on both) Good luck!

http://pirateslair.net/DDM_Install1.pdf

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did you really go with 55w low and 35w high? How come?

How is the time to fire up the high beam? The last HIDs I used wouldn't be at full brightness for about 20 seconds.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here are two of my posts (first and second) with pics on the install.

I did purchase the wiring harness from DDM and everything is working great now!

Good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
That wasn't hard at all. Took less time than installing the turn signal lights on the mirrors, my other project for the evening. The hardest part was just figuring out how those stupid little clips on the bulb work, and then getting them back on the pegs after changing bulbs.

The DDM ballast really is small and easy to stash away. Everything plugged together easily. Nice kit at an incredible price.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Carlos, have you had a chance to make a midnight run with it yet? Huge difference isn't it? I noticed that when riding the bike on a sunny day it lights up the road signs. The addition of a set of Hella FF's really rounded out the lighting for those late night rides.

I'm a night shifter and often ride at night on my "days" off. Much safer than the stock set up.

Loren

·
Registered
349 Posts
Unfortunately the schedule lately has kept me from giving it a test at night. I do look forward to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts