BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked to make sure there's nothing in my tyres but I can feel a flat spot, kinda like driving over expansion cuts in concrete with each rotation of my tyres. I've checked the pads and calipers, no damage. anyone ever had this happen?

Sam

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would say that your tires are cupping. Very normal on motorcycles in general. It's usually the front tire that cups, and if you look real close you can actually see the ridging/cupping.

Having said that, I would also spin the tire while on the center stand just to rule out any defects in the tire itself.

Just do a search on tires or cupping and you will find a lot of information...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Did you verify the tire pressure? I discovered I had been riding on a nearly flat tire for a couple of days, and wondered about the funny bumpy floaty feeling, discovered the tire had about 10psi, a result of a good screwing... :histerica ..I mean a screw in the tire...I was impressed at how stout the sidewalls of the tires are, as I could hardly see much deformity in the tire from the low pressure...and I was able to ride on it with hardly any pressure.....Boy! 48psi feels much better.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inspected tyres and no cupping at 42 & 46 Lb.s. No vibration in brakes as applied, no wobble in tyres or rotors or calipers. feels like a high spot on each rotation.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
LTExfisher said:
Inspected tyres and no cupping at 42 & 46 Lb.s. No vibration in brakes as applied, no wobble in tyres or rotors or calipers. feels like a high spot on each rotation.
Could it be that you have too much tie pressure? Owner manual states 36.3 front, 42.1 rear.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
LTExfisher said:
Tire brand?
Mileage?
There have been past instances of delamination of tread and carcass on certain brand tires. I've got two Bridgestone failed tires in my storage unit, and one failed Metzeler. Both Bridgestones showed a 'slight' out of round condition upon slow rotation, butt when they were de-mounted, it wuz obvious the inner layer of the tire had delaminated - large balloon looking area. Were I you, I'd take a look inside the tire.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Sam, double check your Final Drive (FD) for any looseness or leakage! I had this very same sensation many years ago on an asphalt stretch of Hwy that I knew contained no expansion joints and finally had the FD start spewing fluid all over the rear wheel!

It can be very sinister, this FD of ours!

John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the answer I was dreading. Both Metzlers are under 2,000 miles and look great, on the out side. I'll be doing a fluid change on the Final Drive over my weekend.
Thanks for the assistance.

·
Super Moderator
1,405 Posts
Check the age of the tire - there are 4 digits embossed in the tire they stand for WWYY the week of
the year and year the tire was made - just to check age but it sounds like yours are fairly new!!

Look on the rear tire on the side near the swing arm in the event that it is hitting the swing arm -
ask me how I know!! I had a Bridgestone radial delaminate and started rubbing the swing arm -
there is about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch clearance there :eek:

Sometimes people forget to put the wheel spacer back on the wheel when doing a tire
replacement !!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swapped out my fluid and found it clean, no shavings, water or discoloration. Next step is pull the tyre and see if the spacer was replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts