BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used my map light on the intrument cluster. I noticed there is a three positoin switch on it. Off, Middle, and On. What is the middle position for? Is there supposed to be a low and high on the light?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mwnahas said:
I've never used my map light on the intrument cluster. I noticed there is a three positoin switch on it. Off, Middle, and On. What is the middle position for? Is there supposed to be a low and high on the light?
Just guessing here: The light is probably used in BMW cars also, and has a position for "door open" to turn the light on, since we have no door, that position is not wired.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My old Porsche dome lights are just like that: On all the time, off all the time, or works with the door switch.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
In one of the positions the light come on for a few seconds after the ignition is switched off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cockpit Lighting

As per the instruction manual for my 05;
Up = on, Middle = off, Down = Automatic (with anti-theft alarm), in automatic mode lights are activated
a) When you deactivate the alarm function
b) By switching off the ignition (if programmed)
The lights then dim out after 30 seconds.

Gary

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
mwnahas said:
Michael,

Great question. I have wondered about the middle position on this switch since 1999.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
David's got it. It is a two-way switch, actually up=on, middle=off, bottom=not connected (so it acts like off).

However, it sounds like the '05 bikes with the convenience package do have the extra position wired into the alarm/ground lighting. Interesting. I wonder how many '05 owners knew that?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ding-Ding -Ding, we have a WINNER!

zipper said:
As per the instruction manual for my 05;
Up = on, Middle = off, Down = Automatic (with anti-theft alarm), in automatic mode lights are activated
a) When you deactivate the alarm function
b) By switching off the ignition (if programmed)
The lights then dim out after 30 seconds.

Gary
Yep,

Gary AKA Zipper hit the nail on the head.

I was out playing with my bike last night and noticed that the "Landing Gear" lights come on with the map light and stays on for a few seconds, then dims down to off, when you turn off the bike. VERY COOL!:cool:

I also found that with the JPEGs stowed inboard, you can't see the "Landing Lights". Most excellent for stealth mode.:p

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
black1200lt said:
I also found that with the JPEGs stowed inboard, you can't see the "Landing Lights". Most excellent for stealth mode.:p
Coni, "JPEGs"? Do you mean highway pegs of some type?

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aw crap....I was looking forward to installing the jpegs on my 05 after having had them on my 00.....I did'nt even think about how they might block out the landing lights! What good are farkles if they get blocked off?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts