BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while adding fuel to "The Beerburner", I ended up splashing fuel all over the place, much went down the overflow tube. Afterwards everytime I stopped I could smell fuel rather strongly.

So my main question: Could it be a leaking o'ring on the fuel lines or is it the fuel spill? I guess without taking the Tupperware off should the smell go away?

I believe any and all of the cases could be so I'll just have to keep an eye on it and if it continues pull some tupperware off and check the lines! I think I may have answered my on question. Anyway your comments will be listened to.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Give a couple of days.

Having done that a couple of times. I would wait. I am sure it will go away.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I've done the same and it has taken a day or so for all the fuel odor to go away. One thing I did find the other day while putting the tank back on was a bug about a quarter on an inch inside the overflow tube. If it was farther in I would not have noticed it and if I then spilled gas the tube would be obstructed from releasing the fuel thus increasing the time it would take for the odor to vanish. I blew the line out with compressed air and all is well. May be a consideration for you as preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've spilt gas several times and I know what you mean about the smell. I think the fluid simply gets caught up in all of that fine German Engineering.

Have you tried washing the bike (GASP:eek: )? If it is a simple gas smell, the soap should neutralize the odor. If it was a gasket or a seal, you should have smelled it prior to filling up.

I could be wrong but I would definitely try that before wasting 4-5 hours removing the tupperware.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
could be just a good nose and residual fuel. if it is leaking you'll see it on the right side below the outrigger...

Mine was "weeping" quite a while until the plastic eventually let go on the connector. Just a "mist" of fuel while running.. more as vibes picked up.

Then it finally "let go"....

So, just pull the outrigger covers... should be able to verify no leaks... run bike with those covers off and stop, carefully put on sidestand and check for leaks.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Verdict:

After a short ride today,(was shortened by discovery) I noticed fuel on the right wing just above my feet, so it appears that it is leaking. Will do a bit more research but am planning on replacing o'rings on fuel line.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate your replies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I read somewhere that the fuel ventilation system on the LT gets wet when the tank is overfilled and can cause a couple of issues. I seem to remember something about a textile air filter on the vent side of things. That might also explain the wet wing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts