BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barring no apparent problems with the LT, is it a problem to have the 12K service done at 14,000 miles? I had the oil/filter changed at 9800, last week and now I have a series of business trips, and I'll use the LT for all of them. By the time I'm done with this string of business trips, I'll be just under 14,000 miles. I have a service appointment set for 16 June at Max BMW in Troy and I'd like to keep that appointment. I may be able to squeeze in a service appointment at BMW of Manhattan earlier, but I'd prefer to keep the appointment at the other location. Any problem with letting the LT going about 2K over the 12K service? So far this year, I've put 10K on the LT and will add easily another 10-12K for the rest of the year. So far, other than routine maintenance, it's only been tire replacement costs. Welcome comments on the 12K service issue. Thanks
Scott

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
No problem at all, 12K is mainly engine, trans and rear drive fluids also brake pad check & check for anything loose. I would also remove the shift linkage , clean , lube well and reinstall. 24K in the big one with air fuel filters and valve check.

·
Registered
338 Posts
No problem on most vehicles. I don't see how it could be that detrimental to a motorcycle. I wouldn't try the same thing with a riding lawnmower....an extra 2000 miles would definitely hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I did my 12 except for the valves at around 12 or so. It is basically fluids.

However, a valve check is called for at the 12K. I did mine at 14 or so. So in answer to your question I would say you are good to go on the 2 grand over.

When we checked mine I am close on 3 exhaust and 1 intake. Not at the end of limits but enough at 20k or so I will check again and if they got any tighter will swap them. I am pretty anxious to see if mine was just put together on the tight side.

From what I am told they hold their adjustment pretty well. My dealer told me that they have a bunch of people go to 18K for valve check to help defray the cost of the 12K. He also said they never, that he recalled, needed an adjustment at 18K.

I would say enjoy that Job.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
I had a couple of intakes and one exhaust that were on the snug side at the 24K but they didn't require swap outs until the 48K.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the same boat with 12,200 on mine after my last trip. I just called to schedule the 12K with Sturgis, SD BMW last week and was told they wouldn't be able to get me scheduled before another trip I have planned on the bike. The service manager told me another 2K on the bike before the 12K service wouldn't be any problem, "not to worry about it". I purchased the bike at the Sturgis dealer and to this point the sales and service departments have been nothing but top notch, so I don't have any reason to doubt the service managers advise. On a side note; unless I'm dreaming, the service manager rides a K1200LT too, which gives me a little more confidence in his assessments. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts