BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question born out of ignorance (having not had the opportunity to get "close and personal" with an LT before) - guess that's what happens when you buy a bike long distance . . . but that's another issue.

Got my 2000 LT-C last week and have gotten a few miles under my belt . . . . rides real nice. The question stems from the smoke it generates when started . . . a good deal of blue smoke. The taiplipe is a bit oily. The smoke continues until the engine gets a little warmer and then it clears up but initially, it smokes quite a bit more than I would expect, especially from a fuel injected BMW.

Also, the exhaust sounds more "throaty" than an LT I ran into on my old Voyager XII a few months back. Not sure if this is normal . . . . I am planning on getting together with some of the Charlotte BMW club members at the next Sunday breakfast / ride.

Thoughts??? Feedback????

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
completely normal for LT"s, especially if you park it on the side stand...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Andy-SC said:
Here's a question born out of ignorance (having not had the opportunity to get "close and personal" with an LT before) - guess that's what happens when you buy a bike long distance . . . but that's another issue.

Got my 2000 LT-C last week and have gotten a few miles under my belt . . . . rides real nice. The question stems from the smoke it generates when started . . . a good deal of blue smoke. The taiplipe is a bit oily. The smoke continues until the engine gets a little warmer and then it clears up but initially, it smokes quite a bit more than I would expect, especially from a fuel injected BMW.

Also, the exhaust sounds more "throaty" than an LT I ran into on my old Voyager XII a few months back. Not sure if this is normal . . . . I am planning on getting together with some of the Charlotte BMW club members at the next Sunday breakfast / ride.

Thoughts??? Feedback????

Thanks

Andy
Andy - smoke out the tailpipe is pretty common on these scoots. Check this answer I found in the K1200LT FAQ section under common issues. Ole Toad quit doing that after ~30k miles, and now, never does, even tho I rarely use the centerstand.

As for the throaty sounding exhaust. Check the exhaust header bolts (there are 8 of 'em) at the pipe flanges --- they've been known to loosen if not torqued correctly. Clymer's should show the proper torque, or there is a torque schedule by Randy somewhere around the site.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sounds normal to me Andy. If you start it and ride off within 10 seconds, with moderate throttle, it will warm up quickly. The lower the ambient the richer the mix on starting, so expect some smoke. Also shut it down while sitting on it and wait a few seconds for the oil to get into the crankcase, then lean it on to the side stand.
I bought my 2000 new, and with 53K I still think it is a new machine. Enjoy your new ride. Barnett

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Andy-SC said:

Thoughts??? Feedback????

Thanks

Andy
My 2000 LT still smokes after 48k miles if I leave it on the side stand too long...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hold the start button down

Guy at work with an LT parks it on the side stand every day. He says he picked up a tip for reducing the smoke issue (maybe from this site??): With the key turned off, hold down the start button and then turn the key on (let go of the start button as soon as the engine starts). I have no idea what the logic is behind this, but Mr. Shealey and/or Mr. Neblett can probably weigh in on that. He says he always does that on a cold start and gets almost zero smoke.

I've never tried it; I always use the center stand. I've never noticed any smoke from my bike.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Normal

Just let her stand up straight or even lean her over to the right a little for 15-20 seconds after you shut her off before putting her on the side stand..

This gives the oil a chance to run back into the crankcase. If you just shut her off and put her on the sidestand there's a chance some oil will seep by the rings and get into the cylinders.. Hence the start up smoke...

Don't worry about it at all. It's perfectly normal for these bikes to do that...

If you want to fog for mosquitos then just ad a little 2-4-D to the oil and you'll be killing the bugs while you clear the cylinders...:eek:

John

·
Registered
311 Posts
Smoke!

Mine smoked too for the first several thousand miles, but not anymore. This seems to be normal for our ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts