BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of removing the fuel tank on my 02 LT. The manual shows fuel hoses with clamps near the fuel pump. My bike has what appears to be quick disconnects.
I've done a search on the forum and came up with part numbers for both male and female fitting ends, and the O-Rings (which I plan to replace). Should I just go ahead and replace the QD connectors at the same time? Do they get brittle with age? Or should I just disconnect them, replace the O-rings, and go about my merry way?

Paul

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Better QDs...

This was originally posted by our own Grif...

A discerning gentleman of great renown and keen wit. Also, a guy who clearly knows his Quick Disconnects! ;)

From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

While you're at it, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and get you #9452K19. Industry standare -011 Size Bun-N. They are the o-rings that go on the quick disconnects. Package of 100 for $2.47.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JATownsend said:
From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

While you're at it, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and get you #9452K19. Industry standare -011 Size Bun-N. They are the o-rings that go on the quick disconnects. Package of 100 for $2.47.
Okay, took awhile, but I figured out the first part number is actually 88080445. I also thought I read that the fuel lines on the LT were 3/8" ID, not 5/16". With fuel pressure specs around 50psi, I don't want to take any chances.
I think I'm going to call the local dealer (yes, local!) and see if they have the stock parts in stock. I'll order the brass units for backup and/or later installation (hey, I love taking off Tupperware now!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
All check out the Jiffy-tite web site. We are the manufacture of aluminum quick connect fittings used in many different applications. We are used in motorsports, motorcycles, boats as well as on military vechiles. If you have any questions fell free to email us. Ask for the motorsports department and I will be happy to offer help.

Duane LaFleur

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
O-Ring material

JATownsend said:
Just an FYI on the cautious side.

if you live in area like I do where ALL of the mid and premium grade gas contains Ethanol you may want to consider looking into Viton O-rings. Per the Parker seal compatibility hand book Buna-N is not recommended for Ethanol use.

NOTE: I don't know if the 10% ethanol is a large enough percentage to have any effect on the Buna-N. I also do not know if the ethanol will cause the seal to fail or just soften and swell. I seriously doubt this is a large concern since no one to my knowledge has reported a failure.

Has any one noticed the Buna-N seals swelling or getting soft after being in service for awhile?

Just me being curious & cautious.

Roy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Roy you are correct, all our connectors come standard with a Viton seal. We only use the Buna for alcohol applications.

Duane

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
duaneL said:
All check out the Jiffy-tite web site. We are the manufacture of aluminum quick connect fittings used in many different applications. We are used in motorsports, motorcycles, boats as well as on military vechiles. If you have any questions fell free to email us. Ask for the motorsports department and I will be happy to offer help.

Duane LaFleur
It looks like your #21505 and #22505 are the ones needed for the LT, hose barbs for 5/16" I.D. hose. Correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts