BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried or have feedback on a Hammacher Schlemmer Electra Heated Vest? http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72297.asp?promo=apparel
Using carbon fiber technology powered by compact and unobtrusive rechargeable batteries, this heated vest generates four consecutive hours of warmth and, if necessary, can easily fit underneath a coat, providing adjustable warmth for a variety of comfort levels. It uses safe, low-power infrared rays to transmit heat throughout the carbon fiber mesh sewn into the vest. Batteries recharge (charger included) in five hours. $129.95

Thanks, Doug
02 K1200LTC

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
That sure is neat...just don't know how practical it would be for motorcycle use. For the same coin, you can buy a used heated vest in here or on eBay, and now you're not having to worry about it running out of juice. I would think that vest would be better suited for wearing around the house if one got a chill...or going outside for a bit.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Get an extra set of rechargable batteries, plug the charger into a power outlet, charge the second set as you ride, and you'd have at least 8 consecutive hours of power. But I second messenger13, a dedicated heated vest would be less hassle in the long run.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Vest vs. jacket w/arms

Beware the vest! I used to ride with a BMW heated vest, until after 30 minutes of cool riding I found myself saying "My chest is warm, but my arms are cold". Now use a Gerbing heated jacket - warm chest AND arms.

- Bob

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I don't see how you can get reasonable wattage for a reasonable time from batteries. How about a 20 amp-hour motorcycle battery...240 watts at 12 volts is 20 amps, less than an hour with a battery the size of a motorcycle's battery? If it's just a few amps it's not going to get very warm.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to pass on the AA battery operated heated vest.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Doug,
My wife got me one for my birthday last month. The first one had the controller (hard plastic) broken and some of the wiring was messed up, so we sent it back. Obviously a previous return. The replacement came in and was in a box, looking much better.

I've used it a few times over the last 2 weeks, and it isn't bad for short hops (<30-45 minutes) in high 30 degree weather. I haven't used it more than that, though. I would agree with the others that responded, that for more than a couple of hours, it would be better to get something you could power off the bike.

The way it works is that when you first turn it on, it goes into "High" mode, and after 10 minutes or so, will automatically power down to low. From there, you can switch it to either Med or High again, but must press the switch that is in a chest pocket.

The heat is focused in between the shoulder blades, so no arm heating, or even other areas of your trunk. To knock the chill, that's fine, but definitely limited application. Wouldn't recommend if you live in Minnesota or Canada, etc. Advantage is that you wouldn't be tethered to the electrical system on your bike. And even without the battery warming, the vest is fairly warm and comfortable by itself.

If you were to get this battery operated vest, understand that it's got a special battery pack - NOT 2xAA - and I would highly recommend getting at least a second battery pack.

One last thing is their caveat that you aren't supposed to get it wet!

Just my $.02; no connection, yada yada.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts