BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 05’ LT for four years, and added my share of farkles, and done my share of maintenance (thanks to education provided by this forum). The bike is now close to perfect, but the wife is asking for armrests. I’ve gotten feedback from this group on the two most popular options:
>> Don Muddiman's Eagle Innovations (most recommend these)
>> Ztechnik (those few who have these, aslo recommended them)
Neither of these are cheap, so I’m still not sure what to do.

Q1: What are the opinions of those in the forum who have armrests?
Q2: Does anyone have a set for sale at a better price than new?

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
My wife does not like arm rests as she wants to be able to clear the bike if she has to (done it twice on the LT as it went down). It is the same reason she will not ride in a side car - can't get out. Just another perspective.

·
Registered
321 Posts
S.O. said "I don't want them in the way so that I can just step off when it goes over". She is good at giving me "the look" as she is standing there as I lay on the ground.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have the Z technik armrests. My wife loves them.I got a great deal on a set along with BMW factory passenger floorboards. They are good quality. Grabbed both for $400. I like the design of Muddleman armrests a bit better.But I just couldn't pass them up. Now having had the ztechniks for awhile. I would go with them again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Z technik as well. My girlfriend loves them. Makes her feel more secure and compfy. She will go any distance with me now. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Used Muddimans for 8 years on two different LTs - liked the way the bike looked when they folded away.
Dropped (0 mph) the bike a few times with the wife on back she just moved them up and stepped off with no issues.
The arm rests allowed her to reposition her sitting position in lots of ways increasing the distance we could ride
all day and between stops besides and of course letting her sleep on many occasions.

We added a sidecar to the LT in 2015 but that's a different story . . .

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I had Don Muddiman's armrests on my 2007 LT. My wife did like them, but said they were almost a little too high for her (even though I had adjusted them to the lowest point). You might want to take some measurements of your wife's arms while sitting on the pillion seat and determine if the armrests will be positioned correctly for her. My wife is not short (5'7"), so it's more a function of her arm and torso length.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My wife LOVES them, comfy and she feels secure when she nods off.
Stick with the Don Muddiman's Eagle Innovations, less money, hook up to the existing top box hinge area without having to drill into the box, AND they don't look weird when up like the others do.

Reactions: simoncharles

·
Registered
697 Posts
We had our LT for about 5 years of asking my bride if she would want armrests. She always said no....until she sat on a friend's LT that had Muddiman's. I had them ordered within a couple of days. Since then there has been no looking back. She loves having the armrests, especially after a long day. Just remember, if Momma isn't happy, ain't nobody happy. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey fellow LT riders, I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to discuss with the S.O. and see how important this is for her. I'm all for a winter project.

Now if I can find a deal like James.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts