BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2005 RT, purchased used a few years ago, came with these lights. I'd like to get an identical replacement set, but unable to determine the brand of the lights. I'm aware that there are much brighter and better lights available out there, but I personally prefer the looks of these, and how they blend with the bike's aesthetics quite nicely. I don't expect a lot from fork mounted lighting in terms of output...down this low, their primary functions are: providing a larger lighting footprint for oncoming vehicles to see, and a slight bit of extra illumination of the road surface. These have performed those functions satisfactorily, until one bulb burned out recently. It appears as though the bulbs are not designed to be accessible for replacement. Anyone familiar with these lights?
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
Moto Lights, Caliper mount. There is a U shaped pin wrench that is used to remove the lens ring. Look here

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moto Lights, Caliper mount. There is a U shaped pin wrench that is used to remove the lens ring. Look here
John, thank you so much for that...it was frustrating not being able to locate the information. Truly amazed that someone responded so quickly with the helpful info...Ordered the removal wrench, and will see what kind of bulbs are in there. Looking at their website, it appears as though the bulb can be purchased through them as well, and if I'm understanding it correctly, the bulb is fairly large, almost the size of the housing, and has 2 pins on the rear to connect to the wiring. When the wrench arrives, I'll remove the housing and check what I have. May be a good time to upgrade to their LED bulb too... Thank you so much for the help!!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
They are just 12V MR-16 bulbs (landscape lighting). You can buy from Motolight or get at the big Box stores (not going to find a spot version there) or on the internet at a bulb site.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are just 12V MR-16 bulbs (landscape lighting). You can buy from Motolight or get at the big Box stores (not going to find a spot version there) or on the internet at a bulb site.
That is actually even more helpful, might save money that way...When you say "won't find a spot version" at the big box stores...I'm assuming the stock version is a spot, meaning, a more straight-focused beam, basically?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
The Motolight bulbs are 8 degree beam for the 35 watt and 12 degree for the 50 watt. Most of the ones at the Big Box are floods. They still work good for conspicuity but they are not good for extra light at night. Some of the bulb web sites have tighter beam widths for a reasonable price. Personally I run one clear and one amber just to get noticed. Search on MR-16 and spend a day looking at them.

Reactions: rhansen and kbob12

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Motolight bulbs are 8 degree beam for the 35 watt and 12 degree for the 50 watt. Most of the ones at the Big Box are floods. They still work good for conspicuity but they are not good for extra light at night. Some of the bulb web sites have tighter beam widths for a reasonable price. Personally I run one clear and one amber just to get noticed. Search on MR-16 and spend a day looking at them.
John,

I have clear now, was thinking of replacing with amber. Do you run an amber lens, or an amber bulb? Do you have an opinion on bulb power, degree, LEDs, etc? Interested in your recommendations (I currently have older, maybe original?, white bulbs in them)

Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
So my 2005 RT, purchased used a few years ago, came with these lights. I'd like to get an identical replacement set, but unable to determine the brand of the lights. I'm aware that there are much brighter and better lights available out there, but I personally prefer the looks of these, and how they blend with the bike's aesthetics quite nicely. I don't expect a lot from fork mounted lighting in terms of output...down this low, their primary functions are: providing a larger lighting footprint for oncoming vehicles to see, and a slight bit of extra illumination of the road surface. These have performed those functions satisfactorily, until one bulb burned out recently. It appears as though the bulbs are not designed to be accessible for replacement. Anyone familiar with these lights? View attachment 173202 View attachment 173203 View attachment 173202 View attachment 173202 View attachment 173203
MOTO LIGHTS

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Way to go, Brett! Right on point!😂🤣😇

How's the recovery going? Lots of happy meds, I bet. Be sure and keep that shoulder/arm immobilized for as long as the doc says. PT will start soon enough.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
John,

I have clear now, was thinking of replacing with amber. Do you run an amber lens, or an amber bulb? Do you have an opinion on bulb power, degree, LEDs, etc? Interested in your recommendations (I currently have older, maybe original?, white bulbs in them)

Thanks!
Steve
I am running an Amber bulb on one side, it has an Amber lens built in to the bulb compared to my Denali lights where I added a plastic lens to get the Amber color. I am using 50 watt incandescent just because they are still working but I would eventually go LED when these burn out. I had bought some incandescents from a bulb web site several years ago and they seem to last forever and I still have spares!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the responses, advice, and knowledge! I was able to source replacement lenses, bulbs, o-rings, and the lens ring removal wrench, from MotoLights directly. Very easy to deal with, very helpful folks. Amber at MotoLIghts was very helpful, and provided a discount to boot. I bought the 50w halogen bulbs from them, and found some aftermarket 8w LED's which "supposedly" have a 15 degree beam pattern, although I suspect by observing, it's closer to a 100% :ROFLMAO: I have yet to compare the halogen and LED at night, but it's easy to be a fan of the low amp draw of the LED's. I know our bikes have quite a bit of juice available, with a hefty alternator and decent aH battery, but less is better sometimes.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
It is hard to beat the Motolight product and support mine have worked with out a hitch for 16 years now. It was the first thing I bought for the LT back in spring of 05.

Reactions: BB 1200RT
1 - 12 of 12 Posts